Add logins to a database server
The server administrator adds existing Windows logins to the database server from ArcGIS for Desktop. You can add either domain or local Windows logins or groups. That means the logins (and groups) must exist on the network or the local computer before you can add them to the database server.
Once added to the database server, these logins are automatically added to each existing geodatabase and to each newly created, attached, or restored geodatabase on the database server.
By default, when a login is added, it is not placed in a role and, therefore, has no specific rights on the database server. Database server administrators or geodatabase administrators can alter geodatabase permissions after the login or group is added to the database server.
- Log in as a server administrator, start ArcMap, and open the Catalog window.
- Right-click the database server to which you want to add a user or group.
- Click Permissions.
- Click Add user on the Permissions dialog box.
- Specify the location where you want to search for the user or group.
This can be the local machine or a domain.
- Type the name of the user or group you want to add. You can click the Advanced button to do a more specific query to find the desired user.
- Click Check Names to verify the login name is valid.
- Click OK.
The login now appears in the list of Database Server Users and has been added to each existing geodatabase on the database server.
Next, grant permissions to the newly added logins.