Beginning at 10.6, ArcGIS Enterprise Builder can upgrade a base deployment previously installed by the builder. The same limitations apply as with installation.
Deployments set up using another method cannot be upgraded using the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder.
Steps to upgrade
- Review and complete prerequisite steps.
- Run the ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 Builder setup program to install 10.6 components.
- Use the configuration wizard or upgradebasedeployment command line utility to perform the upgrade.
- Complete post-upgrade steps.
If you are upgrading to 10.6, you will need to re-authorize your software for 10.6. You can access your new authorization files in My Esri, along with the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder file.
The Run As accounts for all ArcGIS Enterprise software components must be identical.
Run the ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 Builder setup program
- Launch the setup program using Builder.exe.
- During the installation, read the master agreement and accept it, or exit if you do not agree with the terms.
- The destination folder of your previously installed ArcGIS Enterprise Builder components will be already provided. You cannot change this destination folder during an upgrade. Select Next to continue the setup program.
- Provide the password for the account specified. This is the account all ArcGIS Enterprise components were run as. You must use the correct password for this user or the setup program will return an error message. Contact your system administrator if you do not know the password for the specified user account.
- At the software authorization dialog, provide the location of your current authorization files for Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server. These authorization files should be for the version you are installing.
- Once the setup has successfully upgraded, the post configuration wizard will automatically launch.
Upgrade using the configuration wizard
You can use the configuration wizard to upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise, or close the browser and use the upgradebasedeployment command line utility to complete your base deployment's upgrade. To use the configuration wizard, complete the following steps:
Once the Setup has run to completion, if it's not already open, browse to the configuration wizard's URL (http://mymachine.mydomain.com:6080/arcgis/enterprise). You can also search your machine for the ArcGIS Enterprise Configuration Wizard and launch it using the shortcut.
Do not close or refresh the browser when the upgrade is in progress.
- The initial landing page appears and explains that the wizard needs to use a secure connection. Click Next.
- You are then redirected to secure port 6443 where the browser shows a security warning; this is expected the first time you access the secure wizard. Continue past the warning (this varies by browser).
The ArcGIS Enterprise Builder upgrade wizard comprises three pages:
- On the first page, click Upgrade.
- The second page displays the upgrade progress.
- When the upgrade wizard is complete, a third page will confirm this. Exit this page to follow the post-upgrade steps in the next section.
Upgrade using the command line utility
Once you've installed the software with ArcGIS Enterprise Builder, complete the upgrade of your base deployment using the command line utility. In order to run the command line utility, you must choose to run it as administrator.
The upgradebasedeployment command line utility is located in <ArcGIS Server installation directory>\tools\upgradebasedeployment.
By default, that location is C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\configurebasedeployment .
The following describes the parameters used in the command line utility:
- -s —Upgrade the base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment silently with no prompt.
- -h —Displays help and exits the program.
- Open a command prompt.
- In the command prompt, change the working directory to the location of the upgradebasedeploymentutility. For example: <ArcGIS Server installation directory>\tools\upgradebasedeployment.
- Type the upgradebasedeployment command and parameter directly within the command prompt.
Once you've completed the upgrade wizard steps, you are provided with links to the portal and server.
Note:After logging in to your upgraded ArcGIS Enterprise portal for the first time, a message appears to inform you of necessary post-upgrade steps such as a full reindex of the portal. Click OK.
- Open the ArcGIS Portal Directory and sign in with the initial administrator account. The URL is formatted https://mymachine.mydomain.com:7443/arcgis/portaladmin.
- Click System > Indexer > Reindex.
- Click the Mode drop-down list, and select Full.
- Click Reindex. This step will complete the upgrade of your portal. Depending on the number of users and volume of content in your portal, it will take some time for the reindex to complete. Do not interrupt the reindex process. You can monitor the indexing status by opening a new browser window (or tab), navigating to System > Indexer > Index Status, and refreshing the page. When the store and index counts are equal, the reindex and upgrade is complete.
- Verify that you can sign in to the ArcGIS Enterprise portal website through the ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) URL as an Administrator of your organization. The URL is formatted https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/home.
- While signed in as an administrator, upgrade your Living Atlas of the World content. Go to Organization > Edit Settings > ArcGIS Online. Within the Configure Living Atlas Content section, click Upgrade Content. Do not close the ArcGIS Online page until the portal finishes upgrading the ArcGIS Online content. Click Save to return to the Organization page. If your portal was not configured to access Living Atlas content, this step is not needed.
- If you've configured ArcGIS Pro licenses with your organization, optionally upgrade ArcGIS License Server Administrator. When upgrading ArcGIS License Server Administrator, members with ArcGIS Pro licenses will be unable to access ArcGIS Pro. If members are currently logged in to ArcGIS Pro, they will see a message stating that the program will be closed in 24 hours. Members can complete or save their work within this time period. You are not required to reconfigure ArcGIS Pro licenses after upgrading ArcGIS License Server Administrator.
- Restore any customization you previously configured for your ArcGIS Enterprise portal. When restoring your portal customizations in 10.6, it's recommended that you do not replace the files you modified in the previous version in 10.6. This may adversely affect your 10.6 deployment. You need to open each file at 10.6 and manually re-add your custom behavior from the previous version.
If you have not logged in to the upgraded portal website yet, you will be prompted to run the Post Upgrade operation. Click the Post Upgrade operation and then the Post Upgrade button to complete the upgrade process.