Create an ArcGIS Server site for your portal and data store
In this topic
ArcGIS Data Store is part of the overall ArcGIS for Server platform.
Clients publish layers to Portal for ArcGIS. These are hosted layers running on the portal's hosting server (an ArcGIS for Server site). The data for hosted feature layers is stored in the hosting server's data store. You can use ArcGIS Data Store as the hosting server's data store. If you do, caches for 3D scene layers will also be stored in the hosting server's data store.
Since they all work together, you must have the following to configure and use ArcGIS Data Store:
- An ArcGIS Server site that can communicate over HTTPS
- Your portal's hosting server set to the ArcGIS Server site you configured with ArcGIS Data Store
Set up ArcGIS for Server
ArcGIS Data Store communicates through your portal's hosting server; therefore, the ArcGIS Server site you use as your portal's hosting server must be installed and configured before you can create a data store. Follow the instructions in the ArcGIS for Server installation guide to install ArcGIS for Server.
It is recommended (though not required) that your ArcGIS Server enterprise site and data store reside on two separate machines so they are not competing for memory and other resources. If you are setting up an ArcGIS Server workgroup site, however, ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Data Store, and Portal for ArcGIS must be installed on the same machine.
Configure ArcGIS Server to use HTTPS communication
ArcGIS Data Store and Portal for ArcGIS always communicate with the ArcGIS Server site over HTTPS, but ArcGIS Server is configured to communicate using HTTP only by default; therefore, you must configure the ArcGIS Server site to allow communication over HTTPS to register your data store with ArcGIS Server. You can choose to allow ArcGIS Server to communicate via HTTP and HTTPS or HTTPS only. Follow these steps to change ArcGIS Server's communication protocol:
- Open the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory and log in as a user who has administrator permissions.
The Administrator Directory URL is in the format http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis/admin.
- Click security > config > update.
- Choose one of the following from the Protocol drop-down list on the Operation - update page:
- Choose HTTPS only if you require Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for all communication with the ArcGIS Server site.
- Choose HTTP and HTTPS if you do not require SSL for all communication with the ArcGIS Server site.
- Click Update.
Your ArcGIS Server site is restarted. You must wait for it to restart before you can create a data store and register it with this ArcGIS Server site.
- Log out of the Administrator Directory.
Set up Portal for ArcGIS
ArcGIS Data Store is used to store features and caches for scene layers published to Portal for ArcGIS. If you have not already done so, set up your portal. See Getting started with Portal for ArcGIS for instructions.