Disable editing on a layer
As the owner of an editable feature layer, you can disable editing through the map viewer. Disabling is useful if you want a read-only view of your features in the map.
When you disable an editable layer in the map, the setting is honored in the map viewer, apps created from the Edit template, ArcGIS for Windows Mobile, and Collector for ArcGIS. To change the editor settings on the layer, you need to update the layer properties. For hosted feature layers, you update the layer properties through the item details page of the portal website.
- Verify that you are signed in and open the map in the map viewer.
- Click Details and click Contents.
- Browse to your feature layer for which you want to disable editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Disable Editing.
- Click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Enable Editing if you want the layer you previously disabled to support editing. You can only enable editing on a layer that already has editing enabled at the layer level.