A gallery app is a web app that displays the items in a group and related details about the group, such as the name and description. As a member of an organization, you can create a gallery app hosted on the portal website.
You can create an app by putting a shared group into a template. The templates offer different layouts and color schemes and some allow you to configure the gallery to create a customized look and feel. Once you have found a template you like, publish it to your portal. You need privileges to create content in order to publish your app to the portal. As an alternative, you can download a template and deploy it to your organization's web server.
Any changes made to the group or items in the group are reflected in the app. If an item that was public or shared with the group is made private or is deleted, the item no longer appears in the app. If the group is private, only group members who sign in to the website will be able to see items in the app. If you are the group owner and want to share the app with the widest audience, consider making the group and its items available to everyone (public).
Create an app starting from a group page
Follow these steps to create an app to tell the story with the items in a group and publish it to your portal.
- Verify that you are signed in and have privileges to create and share content.
- Open the group you want to use to create an app.
- On the Overview tab, click Share and click Create A Web App.
- Click a thumbnail to see a description of the app and access the Create Web App button.
- Click Create Web App to start configuring your app.
- Type a title, tags, and summary for your app and click Done.
Your app is published to the portal and an unshared item is added to My Content. To make your app accessible to others, you need to share it.
- If you selected a configurable template, click go to the item now in the pop-up and click Configure App. Optionally change the components of the app, such as the theme, widgets, and miscellaneous items. Click Save when you are done configuring the app.