This widget provides editing capabilities using an editable layer in a feature service. It displays a gallery of templates from one or more feature layers. On the map, you can pick a symbol on the template to create a feature with the associated attribute inspector or select an existing feature to update its geometry and attributes. If the feature layer has related tables, you can edit the related records associated with the attributes. If the feature layer has related features from other layers, you can edit those features and ensure the relationship is inherited. If the feature layer supports attachments, you can create, view, and delete attachments. Optionally, you can enable the toolbar for advanced feature editing.
To use the Edit widget, the map you select on the Map tab must contain editable layers.
You can configure the display name of the related record in the pop-up when editing a related table. Starting ArcGIS Online March 2017 update, it, by default, honors the pop up title defined in Map Viewer. You can also choose other field names as display name at run time.
You can edit nested related records. When you create a relationship, you can define the origin and destination classes as well as their cardinality. Keep in mind that editing must start from the origin and a many-to-many relationship is not currently supported.
Configure the Edit widget
This widget can be set to open automatically when an app starts. To enable this feature, click the Open this widget automatically when the app starts button on the widget, which turns it dark green.
- Hover over the widget and click the Configure this widget button to open the configuration properties dialog box.
- Check Use feature template filter to easily find the feature template.
- Check Toolbar Visible to display the editing toolbar. The editing toolbar allows you to select features, clear the selection, and delete features (by selection).
- Check Merge, Cut, or Reshape to individually allow these geometry modifying operations via the editing toolbar.
- Check Enable Undo/Redo to enable the undo/redo capabilities of the edit widget. This allows you to revert and reapply changes in order.
- If you want to save all edits to fields in a record with one commit to the feature service or related table, check Do not apply edits made to attributes until clicking Save.
- If you want to automatically apply the edit when moving the geometry without extra clicks on the map, check Apply the edit automatically when the geometry is moved.
- You have options to set the following tolerances.
- Set the snapping tolerance in pixels—For geometry editing.
- Set the tolerance of attribute editing popup in pixels—Enables users to easily open the attribute editing pop-up by clicking on the feature.
- Set the sticky move tolerance in pixels—Prevents users from moving the features within a certain distance.
- Check Editable beside a layer to enable editing on that particular layer.
- If you want to disable updates to the feature's geometry, check Disable Update Geometry.
- Click the pencil button under Fields to select and display editable fields. By default, the widget carries over these attributes configured in the map.
- Click OK to close the dialog box and apply your changes.
Caution:The Merge tool does not support points or polylines. Currently, it only works on polygons.
Use the Edit widget
Open the Edit widget to display the template picker. If the layer you want to edit does not show in the template picker, make sure Editable is checked for the layer in the configuration and the layer is visible on the map.
You can also open the Edit widget in the app directly through the pop-up window.
- To add a feature, click its symbol in the template and click to add or draw it on the map.
- Once you've added the feature, a pop-up appears.
- Enter information into the available fields. The fields vary, based on the editable attribute fields in the feature service and the configuration of the editable layer. By default, each input to the field is automatically written to the feature service. However, if you check the box of Do not apply edits made to attributes until clicking Save, additional Save button displays and all edits made to the fields will not apply until you click Save.
- To attach an image or other files with a feature (when available), click Browse in the Attachments section of the pop-up and choose the file from your computer.
- To add related records (when available), scroll down the pop-up and click the pencil icon to the right of the related table. A pop-up shows the records related to the attribute, if any. Click the + icon to open its pop-up and add the information.
- To edit a feature, click it on the map to open its pop-up and edit the information.
- To edit related records (when available), scroll down the pop-up and click the pencil icon to the right of the related table. A pop-up shows the records related to the attribute, if any. You can also click the drop-down to display the records with different field names.
- Click the pencil icon next to the related record to open its pop-up and edit the information.
- Click Delete to remove the related record.
- To remove a feature, click it on the map to open its pop-up and click Delete.
Optionally, you can use the toolbar to edit the feature.
- If the feature template filter is enabled, you can click the Feature Layers drop-down arrow, select a layer, and only show the feature template associated with the layer. Alternatively, you can search the template by typing in the search template box.