Upgrade workgroup geodatabases in ArcGIS Sever for Amazon Web Services
There are two different scenarios for upgrading a workgroup geodatabase in Amazon EC2:
- When you migrate your ArcGIS Server Workgroup for Amazon Web Services instances to a new, full release of the ArcGIS for Server Amazon Machine Image (AMI) (such as when moving from 10.2 to 10.3), you can move your geodatabases to the new instance. You may also need to upgrade your geodatabases.
- For service packs and patches, you can apply them to ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop in your ArcGIS Server Workgroup for Amazon Web Services instance, then upgrade your workgroup geodatabases if necessary.
- If you are moving your workgroup geodatabase to a newer release of ArcGIS Server on Amazon Web Services, follow the steps in Moving workgroup geodatabases to an ArcGIS Server instance, then proceed to step 3.
- If you are updating the ArcGIS software in your ArcGIS Server on Amazon Web Services instance, download the updates for
ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop, place them on your instance, and follow the installation
instructions provided with the download to install them.
This will require you to make a remote desktop connection to your existing ArcGIS for Server instance. You must open the RDP port in your security group to make remote desktop connections. You can remove this rule from your security group after you install updates and upgrade geodatabases.
- After geodatabases have been attached or ArcGIS updates have been applied, open ArcCatalog and connect to the database server in the Catalog tree.
- Check the upgrade status of the geodatabases.
- Right-click the first geodatabase and click Properties.
- Click the General tab.
If the Upgrade Status indicates an upgrade is not needed, close the Geodatabase Properties dialog box for this geodatabase and close your remote desktop session. No further action is required.
If the Upgrade Status indicates the geodatabase can be upgraded, proceed with the remaining steps.
- Close the Geodatabase Properties dialog box.
- Make a backup of the geodatabase before upgrading.
- Right-click the geodatabase, point to Administration, then click Backup.
- Type a name for the backup file.
- Browse to the location where you want to store the backup.
- Type a description of the backup.
- Click OK.
- Upgrade the geodatabase.
- Open the Geodatabase Properties dialog box.
- Click Upgrade Geodatabase.
- When the Upgrade Geodatabase geoprocessing tool opens, leave both the Pre-requisites check and the Upgrade geodatabase options checked, then click OK to upgrade the geodatabase.
- When the tool completes successfully, click Close to close the geoprocessing tool progress dialog box.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 to back up and upgrade each geodatabase on your database server.
- Once all geodatabases are upgraded, close your remote desktop session.