At each release, new versions of the Esri Amazon Machine Images are available on the AWS Marketplace. Improvements are also made in Esri sample CloudFormation templates.
See the latest deprecation notice to determine if your hardware and software components are still compatible with ArcGIS versions 10.5 and 10.5.1 and to see a list of functionality that has been deprecated.
New in 10.5.1
The following are new for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 on Amazon Web Services (AWS):
- You can store backup files generated by the webgisdr tool in a bucket in Amazon simple storage service (S3). Storing your backup files in S3 makes them highly available and helps protect them from the sort of loss that can occur if you store the backup files on a single local file system.
- When you launch an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment stack using 10.5.1 CloudFormation templates provided by Esri, functions are available that allow you to stop or start the stack.
- 10.5.1 CloudFormation templates provided by Esri now support the ability to provide postinstallation scripts that you define.
- 10.5.1 Esri Windows Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) use Windows Server 2016 operating systems and include SQL Server 2016 and IIS 10.
- The deployments you launch using 10.5.1 Esri CloudFormation templates allow you to take advantage of AWS System Manager Run Command, which includes the ability to apply Windows operating system updates.
- To simplify the architecture for ArcGIS GIS Server and ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server sites, the 10.5.1 CloudFormation templates provided by Esri that create these sites no longer deploy ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Instead, all communication is through the load balancer.
New in 10.5
At 10.5, you can store your portal's content directory and map and image caches in a bucket in Amazon S3 to make the content highly available.
Esri also offers new CloudFormation templates to launch additional ArcGIS Server roles on AWS.
Use Amazon S3 for a highly available portal content directory
When you deploy a highly available portal on AWS, you can create a bucket in Amazon S3 and use it to store the content directory that is shared by the portal machines. This helps ensure that the content saved and uploaded by your portal members is also highly available.
Store caches in Amazon S3
You can store CompactV2 map or image caches in an Amazon S3 bucket located in the same region as your ArcGIS Server site on AWS.
The names of most Amazon CloudFormation templates provided by Esri have been changed to align with new ArcGIS product and component names.
New templates are available at 10.5 to help you configure the following ArcGIS Server deployments:
- ArcGIS GeoEvent Server
- ArcGIS Image Server
- ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server to be federated with an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment
Product name changes
ArcGIS Server on Amazon Web Services is now called ArcGIS Enterprise on Amazon Web Services to reflect the fact that the Esri Amazon Machine Images include ArcGIS Enterprise components. The Amazon Machine Images have also been renamed to reflect this.