If you've configured ArcGIS Web Adaptor with ArcGIS Server and have not enabled administrative access, the only way you can administer your site is by connecting directly through port 6080, for example, http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis/manager. However, if ArcGIS Server is using web-tier authentication, you can configure your site to disable users in the identity store from administering the site through port 6080. In this manner, users are forced to access your site through the Web Adaptor URL, for example, http://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/manager.
In order to disable administrative access on port 6080, ArcGIS Server must be configured to use web-tier authentication and at least one user in the identity store must have administrative access to the site. Additionally, the web server hosting the Web Adaptor must enforce user authentication using the same identity store configured with ArcGIS Server. To learn more, see Configuring ArcGIS Server security.
The primary site administrator account will still be able to administer the site through port 6080. To fully disable access on port 6080, you can optionally disable the primary site administrator. Keep in mind that if the Web Adaptor becomes unavailable or if the web server is unable to authenticate users that have administrative access, you will be unable to administer your site. To recover from this state, you'll need to re-enable the account using the password reset utility. Once the account is re-enabled, connect to the site through port 6080 with the account.
To disable administrative access to ArcGIS Server on port 6080, follow the steps below:
- Configure the Web Adaptor to allow administrative access to your site. For full instructions, see Configuring the Web Adaptor after installation.
- Open the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory using the Web Adaptor URL and log in with a user that has administrative permissions to your site. The Administrator Directory is typically available at http://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/admin.
- Click security > config > update.
- On the Operation - update page, disable the Allow direct administrator access option and click Update.
- Optionally, disable the primary site administrator account to fully disable access on port 6080. To do so, see Disabling the primary site administrator.
After completing these steps, you should ensure that all of your server connections in ArcGIS Desktop and client applications are connecting ArcGIS Server using the Web Adaptor URL.