Installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
In this topic
- Installation requirements
- Upgrade an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Before installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- How to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor
ArcGIS Web Adaptor is provided as a setup program and is executed through a utility named Setup.exe. You can install ArcGIS Web Adaptor on its own using the steps provided here, or you can install silently using Windows Installer command line parameters.
The version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor must always match the version of Portal for ArcGIS you're using.
You can have a 10.2.1 or later version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor installed alongside other earlier versions of ArcGIS Web Adaptor on the same machine. For example, you can have a 10.1 SP1 version and a 10.3.1 version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor installed on the same web server.
Each ArcGIS Web Adaptor must have its own unique name; you cannot have two Web Adaptors with the same name on a single web server. If a naming conflict is detected during the installation, a warning message is displayed. You need to uninstall the earlier version with the same name to resolve the conflict. Alternatively, you can change the name of one of the Web Adaptors to proceed with the installation.
If you need to add the Cross-domain Policy File feature at any time, you can run the Modify option on the existing installation.
Upgrade an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor
To upgrade an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor to 10.3.1, you need to uninstall the earlier version, and install the 10.3.1 setup. During the 10.3.1 installation, you'll specify the same name as your earlier Web Adaptor. This guarantees your Web Adaptor URL will remain identical to the earlier version.
If a naming conflict is detected during the 10.3.1 installation, a warning message is displayed. You need to uninstall the earlier version with the same name to perform the upgrade.
After installing 10.3.1, you need to configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS.
At 10.2 and earlier versions, running the setup upgraded all existing Web Adaptors to the latest version.
Before installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Verify that your system meets all system requirements. You can only configure one Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS.
- Log in as a user with administrative privileges.
- Verify that you have a website running on port 80 and SSL is enabled on port 443. This is to accommodate the variety of encrypted and unencrypted calls made to Portal for ArcGIS. ArcGIS Web Adaptor cannot be configured with Portal for ArcGIS if it is installed on a website running on ports other than 80 and 443. For instructions on how to create a website, consult the IIS product documentation. For more information about setting up and using SSL, see Enabling SSL on your web server.
- Close all applications.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup. You can also insert the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically start the setup.
You are now ready to proceed with the Web Adaptor installation.
Attempting to configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor so the URL includes additional levels is not supported and may cause problems with client applications.
How to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- The ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup program should start automatically after the download is complete. If the setup does not start automatically, browse to the location of the downloaded setup files, and double-click Setup.exe.
- Review the terms and conditions of the license agreement. You must agree to the terms to proceed.
- Review the features on the Select Features dialog box. Optionally, if you want to install the Cross-domain Policy Files, click the drop-down menu next to the feature, and select This feature will be installed on the local hard drive. To learn more about this feature, see About cross-domain policy files. Click Next.
- Choose a website running on port 80 for ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Available websites are listed as <website name (port)>. If you don't see the Select website dialog box, this means you only have one website. If only one website is found on your machine, ArcGIS Web Adaptor is automatically placed on that website without displaying the Select website dialog box.
- Provide a name for the Web Adaptor. The default value is arcgis.
A message will display if a virtual directory with the same name as the Web Adaptor already exists on the selected website. Click OK to close the message, and provide a different name for the Web Adaptor.
- To complete the installation, follow the directions on the screen.
The Web Adaptor configuration page appears after the installation is complete. You are now ready to Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for use with your portal.