ArcGIS provides several apps that you can use to view maps in web browsers, mobile devices, and desktop map viewers. Most map clients allow you to browse location-specific places, view information about the attributes on the map, see legends and scales, go to bookmarked places, and print. Some clients offer additional tools and capabilities that allow you to route, measure, and select a basemap. As the map author, you can set these properties on the item page of your map.
- Create and save a map in Map Viewer. If you're using Collector for ArcGIS, the map needs to include at least one editable feature layer.
- On the My Content tab of the content page, click the name of your map to view its item page.
- Click the Settings tab and scroll down to the Application Settings section under Web Map Settings.
- Select the settings to enable.
The ArcGIS apps support some, but not all, of these settings. See the descriptions below for more information.
The Routing, Measure Tool, and Basemap Selector settings will be retired in a future release of ArcGIS Enterprise. This means that some apps will continue to support these settings, but you will no longer be able to configure them on the item page Settings tab.
- Routing—Enables users to get directions.
- Measure Tool—Enables users to measure on the map.
- Basemap Selector—Enables users to change the basemap.
- Find Locations—Allows users to find features within a layer or addresses in the map.
This is supported by Collector for ArcGIS, Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS, Explorer for ArcGIS, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS, Story Map Journal, Story Map Series, and Story Map Shortlist.
Feature search within a layer is also supported by Map Viewer.
Check the options to find locations by layer, by address, or both, and provide a hint that appears in the search box. For Find Locations by layer, click Add Layer, choose the feature layer that contains the features you want to be searchable, choose the attribute field, and choose whether the result should contain or be equal to the search terms. The feature layer must have Query capabilities enabled, and the field must be a string or integer without a coded domain. You can optionally add layers.
- Use in Collector for ArcGIS—Allows field workers to view a map with editable layers in Collector for ArcGIS. Uncheck this box if you want to hide the map in Collector.
- Click Save to update your map with the enabled settings.