You can use ArcCatalog or the Catalog window in ArcMap to edit a server directory. To do so, follow the steps below.
Services automatically restart when you edit server directories. If your ArcGIS Server site has a large number of services, it may take a significant amount of time for all services to restart. Esri recommends you adequately plan and test your ArcGIS Server deployment so you do not have to edit the server's directories.
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server and create an Administer GIS server connection to the server. See Connect to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Desktop for instructions on how to connect. If you have an administrative connection set up, you can skip this step.
- In the Catalog tree, right-click your administrative connection and choose Server Properties.
The ArcGIS Server Properties window appears.
- Click the Directories tab.
- Click the Directory Type drop-down arrow, choose the server directory you want to edit, and click Edit.
- To change the location of the directory, specify a new directory path in the Physical Path field, or browse to its location on disk.
When you edit a directory path, the contents of the directory are copied to the new location unless you are editing a cache directory. When you change a cache directory location, you must copy the cache to the new location.
- To update the description, type a new one in the Description field.
- To change how long files in the directory are retained, choose a new setting from the Cleanup mode drop-down list and specify the number of minutes for Maximum file age. The server will delete files in the directory at regular intervals based on the maximum age of the file.
- Click OK.
The edits to your directory are applied and listed on the Directories tab.