After ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1, ArcGIS Server will no longer support the ArcMap service runtime. Only services using the ArcGIS Pro service runtime will be supported, for both newly published services and existing services on an upgraded ArcGIS Server site.
While some services that use the ArcMap service runtime may continue to function on future versions of ArcGIS Server, Esri recommends you migrate, republish, or remove all services that use the ArcMap service runtime prior to upgrading to any ArcGIS Server version released after 10.9.1.
Map services that were originally published from ArcMap can be migrated to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime in ArcGIS Server Manager using an Edit Runtime operation. This operation does not change the service's content or settings.
The Edit Runtime operation works on one map service at a time. The following conditions must apply:
- The map service must have been published from ArcMap. (Services originally published from ArcGIS Pro cannot be migrated to the ArcMap service runtime.)
- The map service must be running.
- The map service must not have the Schematics capability enabled.
- The map service must not have any custom SOEs or SOIs enabled.
All services migrated in ArcGIS Server Manager will use ArcGIS Server dedicated instances. After using this operation to migrate a map service's runtime, you should thoroughly test the service. If it's not working properly, you can use the same operation to revert the service to the ArcMap service runtime.
If you prefer to migrate multiple services in bulk, or if you need to convert other types of services, use the UpdateArcMapServices command line tool.
Migrate a map service to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime
The following steps explain how to use the Edit Runtime operation in ArcGIS Server Manager to migrate a map service to the ArcGIS Pro service runtime:
- Sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager as an administrator or the owner of the map service to be migrated.
- Locate the service you want to migrate and click its Edit button .
The service must be running for you to see what service runtime it uses and to migrate it.
If a service uses the ArcMap service runtime, a warning message appears that tells you to migrate the service.
The service runtime is also listed on the General tab when editing the service.
- Before you migrate, click the Capabilities tab to identify what is enabled on the map service.
Services with the following capabilities can be migrated:
- Network Analysis
- Feature Access
- If the service has the Schematics capability or any custom SOEs or SOIs enabled, you must disable them to make the service eligible for migration. Uncheck the box next to each to disable them and click Save and restart.
When you disable schematics, this service can no longer be used in schematics workflows. Similarly, disabling custom SOEs and SOIs means the custom functionality will no longer be available to users of the service. Ensure that no one is still relying on these functions before you disable them.
If you made any other changes to the service's settings during this session, you must save those changes before you migrate the service. All unsaved changes to service settings will be lost.
- When the service restarts, click the Edit Runtime button in the Service Runtime section of the General tab.
The Edit Runtime dialog box appears.
- Select the ArcGIS Pro (recommended) option on the dialog box and click Apply to begin the migration operation.
The operation restarts the service when migration completes. The runtime displayed in the Service Runtime section should now display ArcGIS Pro.
- Ensure that the service functions properly in your applications. If you detect any functionality issues, you can return to the Edit Runtime dialog box and reverse the migration operation.