The geometry service helps applications perform geometric calculations such as buffering, simplifying, calculating areas and lengths, and projecting. Before you can use the geometry service in your application development, you need to start the service. You can do that from an administrative ArcGIS Server connection in ArcMap.
Start the geometry service
Follow these steps to start the geometry service from ArcMap or ArcCatalog:
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server and click Administer GIS server to establish an administrative connection to the ArcGIS Server site.
If you have an administrative connection, you can skip this step. For instructions, see Connect to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Desktop.
- Expand your connection to the site and locate the geometry service in the Utilities folder.
- Right-click the geometry service and choose Start.
Your geometry service starts.
Configure multiple geometry service instances
Only one geometry service can exist in an ArcGIS Server site. However, you can configure multiple instances of the service to run at the same time.
Follow these steps to start multiple instances of the geometry service:
- Right-click the geometry service in your administrative ArcGIS Server connection in the Catalog tree and choose Service Properties.
- Click the Pooling tab in the Service Editor and increase the Maximum number of instances per machine value.
For more information about pooling, see Tune and configure services.