An Enterprise administrator or the current item owner of a site application can transfer their site and its content to a new owner. When you transfer ownership of a site, you must also transfer ownership of its core team group and the items belonging to that group.
You can manually complete the following steps to transfer a site's items and groups or run an automated script using Python. For more information, see Changing ownership of sites in ArcGIS Hub and ArcGIS Enterprise Sites.
Add new owner to the site core team group
Remove items from the core team group
All sites have a core team group that is a shared update group (edit group). By default, a site is are shared with this group. You cannot change ownership of items that belong to an edit group, which means that you must first remove the items you want to transfer from the core team group. Items must be removed from the core team group and ownership must be changed before the items can be shared with the core team again.
You do not need to remove items from the site content group to reassign ownership. Additionally, stand-alone groups that were added to the site using the groups manager do not require removal prior to reassigning ownership.
Remove shared items from the core team group
To remove items from the site's core team group, follow these steps:
- Verify that you are signed in to Enterprise and have privileges to share content with your organization.
- On the homepage, click Content.
- On the My Content tab, check the box next to the title of the item or items you want to share, and click Share.
- In the Share window, click Edit group sharing.
- In the Group sharing window, deselect the site core team group and click OK.
- Repeat this process for all items shared to the core team group.
Change ownership of a site and its items
To change ownership of a site and the items belonging to its core team group), follow the steps below. For more information, see the related Enterprise documentation.
- Sign in to Enterprise as an administrator or owner of the items.
- Click Content and click the My Organization tab.
- Use the filters, sort options, and search box as necessary to find the sites and items to reassign.
- Select the items and click Change Owner.
- In the Change owner window, search for and select a new item owner, and select or create a folder as needed.
- Click Save.
The item is reassigned to the new owner you specified. Repeat this process for all items shared to the core team group. Then, share the items back with the core team by following the steps in Share items with a group.
Change group ownership
All sites include two default groups: a core team group (edit group) and a content group (view group). The person who originally activated the site automatically owns these default groups. To fully transfer ownership, you must also reassign these groups.
- Verify that you are signed in to your organization and that you have privileges to manage member groups.
- Click Groups.
- Use the tabs, filters, sort options, and search box as necessary to find the group with the properties and settings you want to edit.
- Click the name of the group to open its group page.
- On the group page, click Change owner.
- Select a new owner and click Save.
If possible, request that the new owner sign in and verify that they are the new owner of the appropriate items.