A workflow item is a single instance of Workflow Manager. Your organization may have multiple groups performing different types of work in your Workflow Manager deployment.
The requirements for each team, and the expectations or contracts that govern their work, are often different. For example, one GIS analysis team may need workflows that access powerful geoprocessing resources, while a decision support team may need workflows that govern access to less intensive maps and apps. When you use multiple workflow items to separate your organization’s various groups, the unique requirements and work done by one group won’t interfere with other groups.
Create workflow items
When you create a workflow item, your account is automatically assigned the Workflow Administrator role for the item. If your organization uses custom roles to define privileges, you must assign privileges to the custom role before you can create workflow items.
Complete these steps to create workflow items:
- Open a web browser and browse to https://gisserver.domain.com/webadaptorname/apps/workflowmanager/ (where gisserver, domain, and webadaptorname are replaced by the information about your portal).
- Click Sign In.
- Sign in as a portal member with an Administrator or Publisher member role.
The My Workflow Items page appears.
- Click Create Workflow Item.
If you don’t have an Administrator or Publisher member role, Create Workflow Item is not available.
The Create Workflow dialog box appears.
- Provide a name for the workflow item in the Name text box.
The workflow item name must be unique.
- Click OK to create the workflow item and to create a Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> group.
It can take a few minutes to create the workflow item.
The Workflow Manager web app appears.
The workflow item can now be shared with groups in your ArcGIS Enterprise portal to allow portal members to access it. You can also assign additional administrators the Workflow Administrator role by adding their accounts to the Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> portal group.
Share workflow items
Complete these steps to share workflow items with portal groups:
- Sign in to the Portal for ArcGIS website with an account that's part of the Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> group for the item that you want to share.
- Go to Content > My Content.
- Check the check box next to the name of the workflow item you want to share.
- Click Share.
The Share dialog box appears.
- Locate the workflow item and the WorkflowLocations_<workflow item id> feature layer and share the items with groups as necessary.
The workflow item ID can be found in the URL in your web browser's address bar when you sign in to the Workflow Manager web app and open the workflow item, for example, https://gisserver.domain.com/webadaptorname/apps/workflowmanager/<workflow item id>/ .
Modify custom roles to create workflow items
If your organization uses custom roles to define privileges, you must enable the following privileges for the role to allow members to create workflow items: