A workflow item is a single instance of Workflow Manager. Your organization may have multiple groups performing different types of work in your Workflow Manager Server deployment. The requirements for each team, and the expectations or contracts that govern their work, are often different. For example, one GIS analysis team may need workflows that access powerful geoprocessing resources, while a decision support team may need workflows that govern access to less intensive maps and apps. When you use multiple workflow items to separate your organization’s various groups, the unique requirements and work done by one group won’t interfere with the other groups.
Create the workflow item
When you create the workflow item, your account is automatically assigned the Workflow Administrator role for the item. Complete these steps to create the workflow item:
- Open a web browser and browse to https://gisserver.domain.com/webadaptorname/apps/workflowmanager/ (where gisserver, domain, and webadaptor are replaced by the information about your portal).
- Click Sign In.
- Sign in as a portal member with an Administrator or Publisher member role.
The My Workflow Items page appears.
- Click Create Workflow Item.
If you don’t have a portal Administrator or Publisher member role, you won’t see Create Workflow Item.
The Create Workflow dialog box appears.
- Provide a name for the workflow item in the Name text box.
The workflow item name must be unique.
- Click OK to create the workflow item and to create a Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> group.
It can take a few minutes to create the workflow item.
The Workflow Manager web app appears.
The workflow item can now be shared with groups in your ArcGIS Enterprise portal to allow portal members to access it. You can also assign additional administrators the Workflow Administrator role by adding their accounts to the Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> portal group.
Share the workflow item
Complete these steps to share the workflow item with portal groups:
- Sign in to the Portal for ArcGIS website with an account that's part of the Workflow Manager Admin <workflow item name> group for the item that you want to share.
- Go to Content > MyContent.
- Check the check box next to the name of the workflow item you want to share.
- Click Share.
The Share dialog box appears.
- Locate the workflow item and the WorkflowLocations_<workflow item id> feature layer and share the items with portal groups as necessary.
The workflow item ID can be found in the URL in your web browser's address bar when you sign in to the Workflow Manager web app and open the workflow item, for example, https://gisserver.domain.com/webadaptorname/apps/workflowmanager/<workflow item id>/.