The Add Comment step allows you to add comments to a job that can be reviewed in the Details panel. This allows you to provide feedback for GPS and data collection reviews, sign off on or request changes to a submission, and so on. If User Prompt and Step Help aren't configured for the step, the step completes automatically when it is run.
When the step is run, the following actions can be performed:
- The step can be paused by clicking Pause.
- The step can be finished by clicking Finish.
If the step isn't optional, the step must be run or paused at least once before it can be finished.
Configure the step
To configure the step, do the following:
- Create or edit a workflow diagram to access the Step Library panel.
- Drag Add Comment from the Step Library panel to a connection arrow of a step on the workflow canvas.
The Step Details panel appears.
- Provide a name for the step in the Step Name text box.
- Optionally, add the message you want to appear when the step is run in the User Prompt text box.
If the user prompt contains plain text and Arcade expressions, you'll need to format the text as follows:
'This job is currently assigned to ' + JobOwner($Job) + '.'
Click the This input supports Arcade Expressions button and choose an ArcGIS Arcade expression to add it to its associated text box.
- Click the Options tab.
- Configure Step Options as necessary.
- Manual—Run the step manually.
- Optional—Allow the step to be finished without being run.
- Automatic—Run the step as soon as it becomes active.
If your workflow diagram is configured to automatically run a sequence of steps that includes the Evaluate Data Quality or the Run GP Service step, steps that attempt to run after the user token that started the sequence of steps expires will not run automatically. You must have a license for the ArcGIS Workflow Manager Server Advanced role to continue running the additional automated steps without manual intervention.
- Run on a Schedule—Run the step according to a schedule you set.
- Manual—Run the step manually.
- Configure Step Commenting options as necessary.
- Enabled—Allow a comment to be added to the job.
- Required—Require a comment to be added to the job.
- Optionally, provide help text for the step in the Step Help text box.
You can also use ArcGIS Arcade expressions to provide a dynamic value for the step help. If the step help contains plain text and Arcade expressions, you'll need to format the text as follows:
'For further assistance, please contact ' + JobCreator($Job) + '.'
- Optionally, click the Style tab to change the shape and color of the step.
- Optionally, click the About tab and provide a description for the step in the Step Description text box.
The About tab also contains the step's ID that can be used with dynamic job properties to obtain a step's output.
When the step is completed, its return value is stored to indicate the result of the step. The return value can be immediately evaluated using paths to determine the next steps in the workflow. You can also retrieve the return value for completed steps throughout the workflow using ArcGIS Arcade expressions. The following table lists the step's return values:
The step completed successfully.
The step failed to complete successfully.