You can create ArcGIS Notebooks in your ArcGIS Enterprise portal if you have the appropriate privileges assigned. Because ArcGIS Notebooks consume resources in your portal and ArcGIS Notebook Server, creating notebooks is a Publisher-level privilege.
Each portal user assigned the Administrator role can create, manage, and schedule notebooks, and any portal user assigned a role that contains the Create and Edit Notebooks and Schedule Notebooks privilege can do the same. The Advanced Notebooks privilege, which allows a member to create notebooks using Advanced runtimes if they're available, is not assigned to the Administrator default role.
Only the owner of a notebook can save edits to the original notebook item. If the owner shares the notebook in the portal, others can view its item details page, open the notebook, and run it as written. Saving any changes to the notebook automatically creates a copy of it.
When granted the relevant privilege, any portal user can view and open notebooks that are shared in a location to which the user has access. For example, if a notebook is shared with My Organization, all users with access to the portal can view and open it. If a notebook is shared with a particular group, only members of that group can view and open it.
Create a custom role for notebook users
If you have portal users to whom you want to assign the Create and Edit Notebooks privilege, you can assign them the default Administrator role. However, to limit the range of actions they can take in the portal other than the creation and sharing of notebooks, you can create a custom role for them.
Follow these steps to create a custom role based on the User role, with the Create and Edit Notebooks privilege added:
- Verify that you are signed in as an administrator of your organization.
- Click Organization at the top of the site and click Settings.
- Click Roles.
- Click Create Role and provide a name and description for the role.
- The name must be unique within your organization, cannot be a default role name, and can contain up to 128 characters. The name is not case sensitive. An example is Notebook User.
- The description can contain up to 250 characters. An example is This role can create and use hosted notebooks but cannot perform other Publisher- or Administrator-level tasks in the portal.
- Select the User role as a base for your new role.
By default, the privileges pertaining to ArcGIS Notebooks—Create and Edit Notebooks, Schedule Notebooks, and Advanced Notebooks—are switched off for User-level roles.
- Click the Create and Edit Notebooks (and, if desired, Schedule Notebooks, Advanced Notebooks, and Publish Web Tools) toggle buttons to turn the privileges on.
Note:The Creating and Editing notebooks privilege is only visible if a Notebook Server is configured for your organization. The Publish Web Tools privilege is required for publishing a notebook as a web tool. Additional privileges (such as to manage content or run specialized analysis tools) may be required on the workflows performed by the notebook author.
- Click Save Role.
A message appears stating that the role was successfully created.
You can now assign the custom role to portal users as appropriate.