Configure feature search
To make it easier for users to locate features within your map, you can configure specific layers within your map to be searchable. For example, you could enable search on your parcel layer so users could find specific parcels. Users select the parcel layer in the search box, enter the parcel ID they want to find, and the map zooms to the parcel and shows a pop-up with attribute information. Hosted feature layers and ArcGIS for Server feature and map service layers with Query enabled are searchable. In the layer, all string fields that do not have coded domains are searchable.
- Verify that you are signed in and open the saved map you want to configure for feature search. (You can also open the map details from My Content.)
- On the side pane, click the About this Map button to display the map's details.
- Click More Details to go to the map's item details page.
- Click Edit on the item details page.
- Scroll down to the Properties section and locate the Application Settings.
- Expand the Find Locations setting if it is not already expanded and check the By Layer check box.
- Choose a layer from the drop-down list.
Hosted feature layers and ArcGIS for Server feature and map service layers with Query enabled are searchable (and therefore appear in the drop-down list). For example, if you are publishing your feature data from ArcMap, you can enable the Query operation through the Service Editor. See ArcGIS for Server Help for more details.
- Choose an attribute field in the layer.
For a field to be searchable (and therefore appear in the drop-down list), it must contain strings and not use a coded domain. For the best search results, choose a field with unique values.
- Choose whether the result should contain or be equal to the search terms.
- Enter hint text that will appear in the search box when the user selects to search in a layer. The same hint appears for all your searchable layers.
- Repeat the process to enable search on additional layers.
- Click Save.
Your map now has feature search enabled. Others can use the search box at the top of the map viewer to find features within the layers you've configured. They click the arrow in the search box, choose a layer from the drop-down list, and type keywords into the search box. A pop-up appears at the location of the feature and displays any available attribute information.