You can rename, remove, and change the order of layers in a map.
If you do not have privileges to create content (you won't see Save in the map viewer) you can still organize layers to explore data by clicking Modify Map.
- Verify that you are signed in and have privileges to create content.
- Open the map viewer, click Details, and click Contents.
- To rename a layer, click the arrow to the right of the layer name.
- Click Rename.
- Enter a new layer name and click OK.
- To remove a layer, click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Remove.
- To change the order of a layer within the map, click the arrow to the right of the layer name and click Move up or Move down. You can also click and drag the layer to reorder it. Icons indicate whether or not you can drop the layer in a specific location on the map contents.
Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap, and feature layers are always displayed on top of tileset layers (map, imagery, and tiles). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap.
- Click Save to save your changes to the map.