A useful feature of ArcGIS Enterprise portals is the ability to turn addresses or place names into points on the map.
Add a portal locator service
To turn addresses into points on the map in your portal, you must add a locator service to your portal and configure it as a Utility Service. You may also configure and use the Esri World Batch Geocoder, but this will require credits to do batch geocoding. Alternatively, you can publish your own locator (geocode) service to one of the portal's federated servers.
The Esri World Batch Geocoder, must be configured to allow users to create locator views. If the Esri World Batch Geocoder geocode service is deleted, locator views will no longer function. If you configured the ArcGIS Online locator service before upgrading to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, you must disable and reenable the Geocode ArcGIS Online utility service to support locator views.
See Configure utility services for more information on setting a locator in your portal to enable geocoding. For information on configuring your own service, see the next section.
Configure your own locator service in ArcGIS Pro
Configure your own locator service in ArcMap
Enable Suggest capabilities on the locator service if you want address or place name suggestions to appear when users search in Map Viewer.
- Follow the instructions in Creating an address locator in the ArcMap help to create a locator from your data. If you want to use suggestions in Map Viewer, check the Suggest option on the Create Address Locator tool when you create the locator.
- Publish the locator as a service by right-clicking the locator in the Catalog tree in ArcMap or ArcCatalog and clicking Share As Service.
For more information on publishing a service, see How to publish a service in the ArcGIS Server help.
- Configure the resultant service as a locator for your portal. Go to Organization > Settings > Utility Services.
Configure the Esri World Batch Geocoder for ArcGIS Enterprise
- Log in to your portal as an administrator.
- Go to Organization> Settings> ArcGIS Online
- Check the Geocode check box and enter your ArcGIS Online user name and password. Note that any time the Esri World Batch Geocoder is used for batch geocoding on this portal, credits will be deducted from the user's credentials that are entered in this dialog box.
- Click Configure.