Prior to 10.7.1, publishers and administrators registered all user-managed data stores with ArcGIS Server sites using ArcGIS Server Manager, ArcGIS Pro, or ArcMap. Beginning with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1, publishers and administrators can add specific types of user-managed data stores to federated servers through the portal. The workflow to add data store items is supported for newly added data stores.
If your federated servers have existing database (.sde files), file share, or cloud data stores registered with them, you, as the portal administrator, can create data store items for these existing data stores.
Once you create a data store item for a registered data store, the data store is only available to the set of portal users with whom you share the item. For example, a file share registered to an ArcGIS Server site using ArcGIS Server Manager is available for use by anyone who has access to the file share. Once you create a data store item for the file share, you must share the item with portal groups, the entire organization, or the public to make it available to anyone other than the owner of the data store item and portal administrators.
Create a data store item
To create a data store item in the portal for a data store that was registered with one of the portal's federated ArcGIS Server sites, run the federateDataItem REST API operation as described in the following steps. This operation is new in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1.
- Using a portal token, sign in to the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory for the federated ArcGIS Server site that contains the registered data store.
- Copy the item path for the database, cloud, or file share data store for which you want to create a data store item. Paths can be found in one of the following locations:
- For databases, go to data > items > enterpriseDatabases, and click the name of the data store under Child Items. When the page for the database data store opens, copy the Item Path from the Data Item Properties section.
- For file shares, go to data > items > fileShares and click the name of the data store under Child Items. When the page for the file share data store opens, copy the Item Path from the Data Item Properties section.
- For cloud stores, go to data > items > cloudStores and click the name of the data store under Child Items. When the page for the cloud data store opens, copy the Item Path from the Data Item Properties section.
- Browse to data > federateDataItem and paste the data store path you copied into the Item Path field.
- Click Federate Data Item to create a data store item in the portal.
This creates a data store item in the portal with which the ArcGIS Server site is federated. If the data store is registered with only this one federated server, no further steps are required to create the data store item. If the data store was registered with multiple federated servers and you want any of those other federated servers to access the data store item, proceed to the steps in the next section.
The data store item in the portal is owned by your portal administrator login. If you need a different portal member to own the data store item—for example, if you want the publisher to publish layers in bulk from a database data store item and, therefore, own the published layers—change the owner of the data store item.
If you will retain ownership of the data store item, you can now share the data store item with the appropriate set of users.
Associate additional federated servers
If your data store was registered with other federated servers using the same name, and you want the data store item in the portal to be recognized by any of those other federated servers, you can bind the data store item with the additional federated server or servers.
You can only bind the data store item to other federated servers if the data store is already registered with the other federated servers, the registered data store has the same name on all the federated servers, and the data store accesses the same data source location. If the data store was registered with the federated servers using a different name, create separate data store items for them using the steps in the previous section.
- Sign in to the Portal for ArcGIS REST endpoint as the portal administrator.
Signing in opens the Users page for your login.
- You need the data store item ID and the ID of the federated server that you want to access the data store item. To obtain these IDs, follow these steps:
- Scroll to the bottom of your Users page and click User Content.
- In the User Content list, find the data store item you created in the last section. If you created the data store item in your user folder, it will be in the Items list. If you created it in a subfolder, it will be in the Folders list.
- Click the item name, copy the ID, and paste it into a text editor or some other location from which you can copy it again when you need it.
- Go to Home > Portals > Self and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click the Servers link in the Child Resources list.
- Copy the Server Id for the federated server you want to associate with the data store item and paste it into a text editor or some other location from which you can copy it again when you need it. If there are other federated servers you want associated with the data store item, copy those as well and save them where you can access them.
- Go back to Home > Portals > Self and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click Datastores in the Supported Operations list.
- Click Add to Server.
- Paste your data store item ID in the DatastoreId field.
- Paste the ID of your federated server in the ServerId field.
- Click True next to Bind to existing server data store and click Add data store to server.
- For each additional federated server for which you want to bind to the data store item, repeat steps 7 and 8.