You can find the geographic coordinates of any point on a map using the Location tool. Map Viewer (formerly a separate beta installation but now included with the portal automatically) displays geographic coordinates in several common formats. You can change the location units used to display the coordinates, capture a point to see its exact coordinates, input coordinates and go to that location on the map, and format how each location unit displays. You can also display coordinates using various units by adding multiple conversions.
You can display coordinates in any of the following notations:
- Longitude and Latitude (XY)
- Decimal Degrees (DD)
- Degrees Minutes Seconds (DMS)
- Degrees Decimal Minutes (DDM)
- Military Grid Reference System (MGRS)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
- US National Grid (USNG)
- BASEMAP—Display x,y coordinates in the coordinate system and units used by the current basemap.
Find a location
To find a location of the map, complete the following steps:
- In Map Viewer, open the map you want to view.
- On the Settings (light) toolbar, click Location .
- Move the pointer to a location on the map and view the coordinates in the Location window.
- Click Expand to reveal additional location options.
- Optionally, click the Add conversion drop-down menu and choose additional coordinate systems to display the location.
Click the box displaying the coordinate system in the Location window to quickly convert the location to another coordinate system.
- Optionally, do any of the following:
- Click Remove conversion next to the coordinate system you want to remove if you have multiple coordinate system conversions and want to remove one or more from the list.
- Click Input coordinate , choose a coordinate system, and provide the coordinates.
- Click Capture to capture a location and switch to capture mode. When in capture mode, you can click anywhere on the map to capture the coordinates of that location.
- Click Format settings to format how the coordinates appear. From the drop-down menu, choose the coordinate system, and change the formatting in the field below it. Click Reset to default to reset the formatting.