A time slider at the bottom of a map indicates that the map includes one or more temporal layers, and you can move the slider to see how the information changes over time. Using the slider, you can control the animation of the data with buttons to play and pause, go to the previous time period, and go to the next time period. You can configure time settings for a map to adjust playback speed, time intervals, and so on.
Follow these steps to use the time-aware layers in a map:
- In Map Viewer (formerly a separate beta installation but now included with the portal automatically), open the map containing the layer or add the layer directly.
- Look for a time slider at the bottom of the map. If the time slider is not visible, the map does not contain any time-aware layers or the time-aware layers are not currently visible.
- Click Play to begin animating the map.
- Optionally, use the slider to manually adjust the time period that appears on the map.
The date dynamically updates as you move the slider to display the selected time period.
- Click Pause to pause the animation.
- Click Previous to go back to the last data interval.
- Click Next to advance to the next data interval.
- Optionally, click Time on the Settings (light) toolbar to hide the time slider.