Adding a new role in Manager
You can add a new role to the built-in Identity store in ArcGIS Server Manager by following the steps below.
If your roles are stored in an LDAP server or Active Directory, you will need to use that product's user management tool to add a new role.
- Open Manager and log in as the primary site administrator or a user with administrative access. If you need help with this step, see Logging in to Manager.
- Click Security > Roles.
- Click New Role. This displays a dialog box to add a new role. On this dialog box, enter the following information:
- Role name: This is a required parameter and must be set to a unique value that easily identifies the role.
- Description: A brief description of the role.
- Role Type: Choose one of the available role types:
- Administrator: The Administrator role type is given unrestricted access to ArcGIS Server administrative components and functions. Members of a role with the role type set to Administrator can log in to ArcGIS Server Manager, the Services Directory, and the Administrator Directory with access to all features and functionality. They can add or remove machines from the site, configure security, and so forth. This role type should be restricted to roles that perform ArcGIS Server site administration.
- Publisher: The Publisher role type is given limited access to ArcGIS Server administrative components and functions. Members of a role with the role type set to Publisher can log in to ArcGIS Server Manager and the Administrator Directory with access to only the service and log management features. They can publish new services, manage existing services, and generate map caches. They cannot configure or change ArcGIS Server security options but can manage permissions for services. This role type should be restricted to roles that publish and manage ArcGIS web services.
- User: The User role type is restricted from accessing ArcGIS Server administrative components and functions. Members of a role with the role type set to User cannot access ArcGIS Server Manager or the Administrator Directory. They can only use or access a service, provided that permission has been granted to their user accounts to access it. This role type should be used for users who will consume GIS web services through the ArcGIS web APIs. Each role is set to type User by default.
- To add users as members to this role, click the Add User icon next to a user in the Available users list. You need to have one or more users previously defined to do this. If there are currently no users in the identity store, you can modify the role later to add members. To add users to the identity store, see Adding a new user in Manager.
- Once you have defined the role as desired, click Create to add the role to the identity store.