Making a user connection to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS for Desktop
ArcCatalog and the Catalog window in ArcGIS for Desktop allow you to add connections to an ArcGIS Server site for using GIS services. Follow these steps to add a connection.
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server.
- Choose Use GIS services and click Next.
- For the Server URL, type the URL of the ArcGIS Server site you want to connect to, for example, http://gisserver.domain.com:6080/arcgis/services. If you need help constructing this URL, see Components of ArcGIS URLs.
- Enter your User Name and Password. Optionally, you can choose to save your user name and password information so that you don't have to enter it each time you connect.
- Click Finish. Your connection appears in the GIS Servers node in the Catalog tree.
- Optionally, rename your connection. To do so, right-click the connection in the Catalog tree and choose Rename.
You are now connected with a user connection, which you can utilize to view and use the services running on an ArcGIS Server site.
You can modify your connection settings by right-clicking the connection in the Catalog tree and clicking Properties.