To serve an image service with the JPIP capability, you must have installed ArcGIS Server, the ArcGIS Image Extension for Server, and JPIP Server from Exelis Visual Information Solutions (VIS). JPIP Server must be registered with ArcGIS Server to manage JPIP-enabled image services. JPIP Server can be registered using ArcGIS Desktop.
To set up an ArcGIS Server site, see the Getting started after install section of the ArcGIS Help.
Follow the steps below to register JPIP Server with ArcGIS Server using ArcGIS Desktop.
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server and establish an Administer GIS server or Publish GIS services connection type to the server. See the topic About connecting to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Desktop for instructions on how to connect.
- Right-click the connection in the Catalog tree and click Server Properties.
- Click the Machines tab.
- Click the Register JPIP Server button.
- Type the JPIP Server machine name in the Host Name field. Optionally, you can manually navigate to the server on the network.
- If the port number is not the default of 8080, type the port number in the Port field.
- Optionally, enter the user name and password required to connect to JPIP Server and click OK.
If JPIP Server is obtained from Exelis VIS, you need to provide your user name and password in this step.
- If you receive the error Invalid host name or port number, check JPIP Server. This usually means JPIP Server is not started or the JBoss startup is not bound to the supplied host name.
- To unregister, click Unregister JPIP Server on the same page.