After you upgrade ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop on your Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instance, create backups of your workgroup geodatabases and upgrade them.
After 10.6.1, the Esri ArcGIS Enterprise Windows Amazon Machine Images no longer include Microsoft SQL Server Express instances, ArcMap, or ArcCatalog. You can follow these steps to continue upgrading existing instances, but newly created instances will not have these components.
- Download the updates for
ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop, place them on your Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud instances, and follow the installation
instructions provided with the download to install them.
This will require you to make a remote desktop connection to your existing ArcGIS Server instance. You must open the RDP port in your security group to make remote desktop connections. You can remove this rule from your security group after you install updates and upgrade geodatabases.
- After you upgrade both ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop on your EC2 instance, stop ArcGIS Server on the instance. You need to do this to release locks held by the ArcGIS Server web services use the data.
- Open ArcCatalog and connect to the database server in the Catalog tree.
- Check the upgrade status of each workgroup geodatabase.
- Right-click the first geodatabase and click Properties.
- Click the General tab.
If the upgrade status indicates an upgrade is not needed, close the Geodatabase Properties dialog box for this geodatabase and close your remote desktop session. No further action is required.
If the upgrade status indicates the geodatabase can be upgraded, close the Geodatabase Properties dialog box for this geodatabase and proceed with the remaining steps.
- Make a backup of the geodatabase before upgrading.
- Right-click the geodatabase, point to Administration, then click Backup.
- Type a name for the backup file.
- Browse to the location where you want to store the backup.
- Type a description of the backup.
- Click OK.
- Upgrade the geodatabase.
- Open the Geodatabase Properties dialog box.
- Click Upgrade Geodatabase.
- When the Upgrade Geodatabase geoprocessing tool opens, leave both the Pre-requisites check and the Upgrade geodatabase options checked, then click OK to upgrade the geodatabase.
- When the tool completes successfully, click Close to close the geoprocessing tool progress dialog box.
- Repeat steps 4 through 6 to back up and upgrade each geodatabase on your database server.
- Once all geodatabases are upgraded, close your remote desktop session.