Upgrade with ArcGIS Enterprise Builder
If your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment was installed using ArcGIS Enterprise Builder 10.5.1 or later, you can upgrade your base deployment using the builder.
ArcGIS Server 10.0 and earlier users
You must uninstall versions 10.0 and earlier of ArcGIS Server from your machine before proceeding with the ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 installation.
ArcGIS Server 10.1 users
If you are upgrading ArcGIS Server from 10.1 to 10.7.1, an in-place upgrade is not supported. To upgrade to this release from 10.1, you must do the following:
- Uninstall the 10.1 software.
- Install an interim release, such as 10.5, to upgrade your 10.1 configuration store and server directories.
- Install ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 to upgrade your site from the interim release.
ArcGIS Server 10.2 and later users
The ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 setup package is designed to detect and upgrade an existing installation of ArcGIS Server on the target system and installed by the same user. For instructions, see Upgrade ArcGIS Server.
Common software upgrade questions
This section addresses common questions about the upgrade behavior of ArcGIS Server10.7.1. Before upgrading, carefully review the following information:
- Can I upgrade directly to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
- Do I need to reauthorize when upgrading to 10.7.1?
- Do I need to uninstall my previous version of ArcGIS Server before installing version 10.7.1?
- Do the ArcGIS Web Adaptor and ArcGIS Server product versions need to be in sync?
- What is the order for upgrading my ArcGIS Server deployment to 10.7.1?
- Do I need to back up any information before performing the upgrade?
- If I've federated my ArcGIS Server with a portal, do I need to upgrade ArcGIS Server when I upgrade the portal?
- If I've federated my ArcGIS Server with a portal, should I unfederate before upgrading?
- Do I need to stop my GIS services and ArcGIS Server before installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
- In a multiple-machine site, can some of my ArcGIS Server machines run 10.7.1 and others run an earlier version?
- I can't log in to ArcGIS Server Manager after installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. What do I do?
- I don't see new features in ArcGIS Server Manager after upgrading to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. What's going on?
- What else do I need to consider before upgrading ArcGIS Server?
Can I upgrade directly to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
Yes; however, the minimum version requirement to do so is 10.2 and later. For example, if you have version 10.5.1 installed, running the 10.7.1 setup will automatically upgrade it to 10.7.1. There is no need for you to obtain and install each released version in order to upgrade to 10.7.1.
Do I need to reauthorize when upgrading to 10.7.1?
Do I need to uninstall an earlier version of ArcGIS Server before installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
No. If you already have an earlier version of ArcGIS Server installed (10.2 or later), the setup will automatically upgrade it to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 without any additional configuration. Additionally, you can install ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 on its own without having an earlier version of the software installed on your machine.
Do the ArcGIS Web Adaptor and ArcGIS Server product versions need to be in sync?
Yes. You cannot configure an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor to work with an ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 site. The Web Adaptor version must always match the version of the ArcGIS Server site. You'll need to install ArcGIS 10.7.1 Web Adaptor at the same time you upgrade your ArcGIS Server machines.
For full instructions, see the applicable Web Adaptor as follows:
What is the order for upgrading my ArcGIS Enterprise deployment to 10.7.1?
Whether you are performing an in-place upgrade or uninstalling the previous version and installing the newer software, the recommended order to upgrade your 10.7.1 deployment is the following:
- Portal for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor (for Portal for ArcGIS)
- ArcGIS Server
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor (for ArcGIS Server)
- ArcGIS Data Store (If you have configured one or more highly available data stores, upgrade the primary machines first, followed by any stand-by machines.)
Do I need to back up anything before installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
All of your services, site information, and security settings are preserved when upgrading to ArcGIS Server. However, it's recommended that you back up your data before installing the software.
If you upgrade ArcGIS Server, information you previously defined in the init_user_param.sh script is retained. However, new parameters exposed by the script in the upgraded software will not be listed. To include any new features, review the information listed in Setting environment variables for ArcGIS Server and add the variables manually to your existing script.
If I've federated my server with a portal, do I need to upgrade Portal for ArcGIS when I upgrade the server?
For your portal deployment to function correctly, your hosting server and Portal for ArcGIS version need to be the same. However, as of 10.5.1, you can federate a 10.5 server with a portal as long as it is not set as a hosting server, GeoAnalytics Server, raster analysis server, or image hosting server. If the ArcGIS Server site you've federated with Portal for ArcGIS includes multiple machines, upgrade your ArcGIS Server machines sequentially. If you have ArcGIS Web Adaptor (single or multiple) configured with your ArcGIS Server site, you also need to update the web adaptors to the same version as ArcGIS Server.
If I've federated my server with a portal, should I unfederate before upgrading?
No. It's strongly recommended that you do not unfederate when you upgrade your portal deployment. Doing so will adversely impact your portal deployment. For example, when you unfederate, all hosted service items remain in the portal, but they are disconnected from their services in ArcGIS Server. This means that members will not be able to access, share, or use these services in the portal. Additionally, any existing ArcGIS Server services that were imported during the federation process are removed from the portal and are no longer available.
Do I need to stop my GIS services and ArcGIS Server before installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1?
If you have not already stopped ArcGIS Server, the setup will do it for you at the appropriate point in the installation.
In a multiple-machine site, can some of my ArcGIS Server machines run 10.7.1 and others run an earlier version?
No. For your site to function correctly, all ArcGIS Server machines need to be at the same update version. You can upgrade your ArcGIS Server machines at the same time or sequentially. If you have ArcGIS Web Adaptor configured with your ArcGIS Server site, you will also need to update Web Adaptor to the same update version.
I can't log in to Server Manager after installing ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. What do I do?
If you are experiencing issues logging in to Server Manager after installing the latest software update, you may need to clear your browser's cache in order to log in. This is typically due to residual information from the previous version of Server Manager being cached in the browser. Before clearing your browser's cache, make sure you are attempting to log in with an account that has administrative privileges to your site.
I don't see new features in Server Manager after upgrading to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1. What's going on?
If you notice that new features in Server Manager are not displaying in your browser after upgrading to 10.7.1, you'll need to clear your browser's cache. Once you clear the cache, you'll see new features in Server Manager.
What else do I need to consider before upgrading ArcGIS Server?
- Before you upgrade your ArcGIS Server site, ensure that any databases you use are supported at the upgraded ArcGIS Server release. See the following relevant relational database management systems requirements topic for details:
- Altibase database requirements
- Dameng database requirements
- IBM Db2 database requirements
- IBM Informix database requirements
- IBM Netezza Data Warehouse Appliance requirements
- Microsoft SQL Server database requirements
- Oracle database requirements
- PostgreSQL database requirements
- SAP HANA database requirements
- SQLite database requirements
- Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance requirements
If you have already configured an enterprise geodatabase as the managed database for your hosting server and you are upgrading to 10.7.1, you need to conduct a few additional steps. Once you've upgraded ArcGIS Server, register the enterprise geodatabase as a database (as opposed to a managed database). Next, install ArcGIS Data Store and configure a relational data store for the hosting server.
- If your site is in read-only mode, the site mode is set to editable when you upgrade. After all machines in your site have been successfully upgraded, the site will remain in editable mode. You can switch back to read-only mode once your upgrade is complete.