In some cases, you may have feature classes that were created with the m-value enabled. For example, the person who created the feature class checked all the geometry properties just in case they would be needed later. If you later decide that the m-value is not needed, you cannot remove that property from the feature class.
When you include these feature classes in editable feature services, you will not be able to edit feature geometry in clients that do not support editing m-values (such as ArcGIS Online or an ArcGIS Enterprise portal). These clients block editing feature geometries that are enabled to store m-values to prevent you from losing your existing m-values. However, the side effect of this is that you are also blocked from editing the geometry of layers even when you are not using the m-values. To allow you to edit the geometries of these layers in clients that do not allow you to set m-values, you can configure the feature service to insert NaN m-values when feature geometry is edited in such clients.
If you enable this property on the feature service, when editors update features in the feature service using a client that does not support specifying an m-value, existing m-values will be replaced with a NaN. Do not enable this functionality if you want to preserve existing m-values.
You can enable this functionality on existing feature services by changing the services' properties in ArcGIS Server Manager, as described in the following steps.
- Open ArcGIS Server Manager and log in as the owner of the feature service or as the ArcGIS Server administrator.
If you need help with this step, see Log in to Manager.
- Click Services > Manage Services.
- In the Services module, click the name of the feature service for which you want NaN m-values inserted when the client doesn't supply one.
- In the Edit module, click Capabilities.
- Click the Feature Access option (the name, not the check box) under the Select and configure capabilities window. This displays the feature service properties.
- Check the Allow geometry updates without m-value check box.
- Click Save and Restart to apply the changes to the service.