The use of this resource requires an ArcGIS GIS Server Advanced license and a Production Mapping or Defense Mapping server extension license.
The Topographic Production Service is a type of ArcGIS service originating from a web layer. It allows topographic production capabilities to be performed on the web using ArcGIS by automating the process of producing a layout or map based on a defined map product.
Introduction to the service
The Topographic Production Service is the entry point for creating topographic products in ArcGIS Server. The Topographic Production Service resource provides information about the service, which enables topographic production server capabilities on a map service. You can also view the child resources and operations defined by the topographic production server object extension (SOE).
The following operations are supported in the SOE:
- addProduct—Adds a definition of a map product to the service that can be used to generate a map.
- calculateExtent—Calculates a custom area of interest (AOI) for a given product and version.
- delete—Deletes jobs that have been run or were canceled so that they no longer appear in queries or occupy server space.
- generateProduct—Automates the process of producing a layout or map based on an existing map product definition.
- removeProduct—Removes a map product from the Topographic Production Service.
- updateProduct—Updates the properties of an existing map product.
- products—Gets the map products that the Topographic Production Service supports.
- product—Gets a single map product from the products that the Topographic Production Service supports.
- cancel—Cancels a job submitted through the generateProduct REST operation.
- job—Tracks the status of a job run by the generateProduct REST operation. Returns the status, start date, last modified date, and messages for the job.
- query—Tracks the status of jobs run by the generateProduct REST operation. Returns the status, start date, last modified date, and messages for a set of jobs.
Publish the service
Configuration in ArcGIS Server
You can configure the operations that the service can perform and other properties in ArcGIS Server Manager after the service is published. These settings appear when Topographic Production is highlighted.
Topographic server geodatabase
The topographic server geodatabase is used by the Topographic Production Service to store data. When publishing the Topographic Production Service in ArcGIS Pro, you can choose to define a custom path for the SQLite geodatabase that will be created on ArcGIS Server in the tmserverDatabase text box.
If your organization uses an Oracle database, you can create the topographic server geodatabase in an Oracle database by providing an .sde connection file for the database. If an .sde connection file is not provided, a default SQLite geodatabase is automatically created for the service.
The topographic server geodatabase contains multiple tables. The TMSProperty table contains the properties that are defined when the service is published from ArcGIS Pro and can be accessed from ArcGIS Server Manager after the service is published. The table also stores properties for each service that is published with the topographic production SOE enabled. Each table row is a property and at Enterprise 11.2, the table contains the following columns: ObjectID, ServiceIdentifier, Name, and Value.
The ServiceIdentifier column contains the service's unique ID. If the value of the ID is -1, the property is a global property that applies to all services. The AdminGroupId property in the TMSProperty table is a global property that allows you to provide a group of users with privileges to cancel or delete jobs in the Map Production System (MPS) self-serve web app, which is included with either the ArcGIS Defense Mapping or ArcGIS Production Mapping server extensions. To provide a group with these privileges, update the value of the AdminGroupId property to match the value of the group ID that you created when configuring the MPS web app in Defense Mapping or Production Mapping.