You can configure your portal to register ArcGIS organizational accounts automatically for enterprise users the first time they access the portal or you can block automatic account registration. Once you enable automatic account creation, you can set a default role and membership level for new accounts from the portal website.
If automatic account creation is turned off, enterprise users can still access the portal and they have the same privileges as a user who does not have an ArcGIS organizational account. If you want them to have more privileges, you must add them as members to your portal.
By default, new installations of Portal for ArcGIS do not allow automatic account registration. However, if you upgraded Portal for ArcGIS 10.2 to a later version, accounts are automatically registered for enterprise logins by default.
Automatically adding enterprise accounts to your portal can result in a rapid increase of ArcGIS organizational accounts in your portal. Refer to the organization page of the portal website to monitor the maximum number of members allowed in your portal. Be aware that when automatic registration is enabled, enterprise accounts will be added as members of your organization, not only when they browse to your portal website, but also when they look at embedded web maps from your portal, or look at a web map or web app from a link.
Enable automatic account creation
Registration behavior is controlled by the enableAutomaticAccountCreation setting in the ArcGIS Portal Administrator Directory.
- Sign in to the ArcGIS Portal Administrator Directory as an administrator of your organization. The URL is in the format https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/portaladmin.
- Click Security > Config > Update Security Configuration.
- Edit the configuration JSON, setting enableAutomaticAccountCreation to either true, if you want accounts registered automatically for enterprise users, or false, if you want to add enterprise user accounts manually. For example, "enableAutomaticAccountCreation": "true".
For information on adding enterprise accounts manually, see Adding members to your portal.
Set default level and role
After enabling automatic account creation, you can use the portal website to choose a default role and membership level for new accounts.
- Sign in to the portal website as an administrator of your organization and click Organization.
- Click Edit Settings.
- Click Roles on the left side of the page.
- Specify the default membership level for new accounts. You can set the default as level 1 or level 2.
- Specify the default role for new accounts. You can set the default role as a publisher, user, viewer, or custom role.
- Click Save to save your changes.