ArcGIS Enterprise portal licenses—including user types, user type extensions, and add-on apps—are managed through a single .json file. You can download this file from My Esri. Use the latest version of this page on the Portal for ArcGIS website to get the most up-to-date instructions for obtaining a portal license file from My Esri.
When you import a new license file, any user type, user type extension, or app licenses in your portal are overwritten by the new license file. For example, if you have apps in your portal that are no longer included in your new license file, these apps are removed when the new license file is imported.
Obtain a portal license file from My Esri
To obtain a portal license file from My Esri, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to My Esri.
- Click Licensing > Start Licensing.
- Select ArcGIS Enterprise.
- For Product, select ArcGIS Enterprise; for Version, select the desired ArcGIS Enterprise version; and from the License type list, select Portal for ArcGIS. Click Next.
- Under Select User Type and Application Licenses, you will see the user types, applications, and extensions that are available for your organization. Select the number of licenses for each user type, application, and extension you would like to include in your license file. Click Next.
Your license file must contain at least one user type license that is compatible with the administrator role.
Some user types include extensions and multiple applications. For example, the Mobile Worker user type includes a number of field apps, including Survey123, Collector, and Workforce. The GIS Professional Standard and GIS Professional Advanced user types include the ArcGIS Parcel Fabric and ArcGIS Utility Network user type extensions. When considering extensions and add-on apps, keep this in mind so you don't duplicate app licenses.
- If you have ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Pro extensions available to your organization, select the number of add-on ArcGIS Pro licenses and ArcGIS Pro extensions. Click Next.
The GIS Professional user type includes ArcGIS Pro.
- If you selected ArcGIS Pro, Drone2Map, or the GIS Professional user types, enter the information for your license manager. Click Next.
- Enter information about the end user who will use the provisioning file to authorize licenses. Click Next.
- Review the provisioning file information. Once you confirm that it is correct, select either Download or Email as the license file delivery method and click Create File.
The license file is available to download or send via email on the next page.
You import the .json license file into your portal to license your portal's users and apps. During the initial configuration, you will import the license when creating your portal. If you are updating the license for an existing portal, you can import the license file. Importing a license file will overwrite your existing user type, extension, and app licenses with those included in the new license file.