You can add supported files from your computer or a shared network location. When you add a file, an item is created in My Content that you can share with others so they can download and use the files.
Other reasons to add files as items include the following:
- Use the URL of a publicly shared comma-separated values (CSV) file (.csv) or image file—When you add a .csv or image file and share it with everyone (public), you and others can copy the URL that appears on the item page to use the .csv file as a web layer or use the image file in web apps and pop-ups.
- If you have the appropriate publishing privileges, you can publish hosted layers from specific types of files, such as a hosted feature layer from a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or a vector tile layer from a vector tile package.
For more information about publishing from files, see the following:
Follow these steps to add a file to your organization:
- Verify that you are signed in and have the privilege to create content.
- From the My Content tab of the content page, click New item.
- Click Your device, browse to the location of the file on your local machine or a directory on a network share, and click Open.
Alternatively, you can drag the file into the drop zone at the top of the New item window.
- If you add a .zip file, you must choose the content type from the Item type drop-down menu.
Depending on the item type, you may need to provide additional information. For example, if you added a .zip file containing a code sample, choose the language of the sample.
- Choose the option to add the file only and click Next.
- Type a title.
- Choose a folder in My Content where you want to save the item.
- If your organization administrator configured content categories, click Assign categories and select up to 20 categories to help people find the item.
You can also start typing a category name to narrow the list of categories.
- Optionally, type tags that describe the item.
Separate the terms with commas (for example, Federal land is considered one tag; Federal, land is considered two tags).
As you type, you can select any of the suggested tags that appear; suggestions are generated from tags you have added previously.
- Optionally, provide a summary that describes the item.
- Click Save.
Once you add the file, it appears in your content.
Configure item details and share the item if you have sharing privileges.