Add ArcGIS for Server web services to a portal
To help people discover and use your ArcGIS for Server web services in their apps, you can create items in Portal for ArcGIS (or ArcGIS Online organization) that reference your web services. Once the item exists in the portal, you can store settings and information on them, configure the item style, and use these items in maps, apps, and scenes in the portal.
If your ArcGIS for Server site is federated with the portal, items are automatically created in the portal when you publish to the federated ArcGIS for Server site. However, if you have a stand-alone ArcGIS for Server site or your site is federated with a different portal, you can add the web service as an item from the Contents page of the portal.
Follow these steps to add one of the web services from your ArcGIS for Server site to a portal:
- Sign in to the portal.
You must have privileges to create content in the portal.
- From My Content, click Add Item, and click From the web.
- Choose ArcGIS Server web service for the item type.
- Type the REST URL of the web service, for example https://webadaptorhost.domain.com/webadaptorname/rest/services/folder/service/MapServer.
ArcGIS for Server web service URLs are in the format https://<fully qualified web adaptor machine name>/<web adaptor name>/rest/services/<folder name>/<service name>/<service type>. If the service is in the root folder, you do not need to include the folder name in the URL. The URL format in that case is https://<fully qualified web adaptor machine name>/<web adaptor name>/rest/services/<service name>/<service type>.
To find the REST URL of an ArcGIS for Server service, open the ArcGIS for Server Services Directory and browse to the service you want to share. You can then copy the URL from the browser's address bar. Do not append any parameters, such as a token, to the URL.
- If you added a secure service that is available externally, enter a user name and password for an account that has access to the service, and select whether or not you want the credentials stored with the service item. If the credentials are not stored with the item, everyone who accesses the item will be prompted for credentials every time they access the service item. If the credentials are stored with the item, you will not be prompted for credentials.
User names might be case sensitive depending on how your identity systems are managed.
If you do not see the user name and password fields, the options to store or not store credentials, or if you see an error when attempting to add the secure service, there may be an issue with your HTTPS configuration. The ArcGIS for Server site providing the service for which you are attempting to store credentials must support HTTPS and have a valid certificate signed from a well-known certificate authority.
- Type a title.
- Type tags that describe your item. Separate terms with commas (for example, Federal land is considered one tag; Federal, land is considered two tags).
- Click Add Item.