Register a Teradata data warehouse appliance with ArcGIS Server
In this topic
As an ArcGIS Server administrator, you have the option to register your data folders, databases, and geodatabases with ArcGIS Server. Data registration provides ArcGIS Server a list of locations to access. Data registration also helps ArcGIS Server adjust data paths when publishing across machines.
The following sections describe how to prepare your ArcGIS client to connect to Teradata and register it with ArcGIS Server.
Install the Teradata client files
You must install the following files on the ArcGIS client machine:
- Teradata ICU library
- Teradata GSS client package
- Teradata ODBC driver
If you are connecting from a 32-bit ArcGIS client, you must install 32-bit Teradata files. If you are connecting from a 64-bit ArcGIS client, you must install 64-bit Teradata files. See Connect to Teradata from ArcGIS for more information.
Users who connect to the database to publish data must be granted specific privileges.
Connect to Teradata
To register a database with the server, you must provide connection information. There are two ways you can do this:
- Import an existing .sde file that contains the connection information.
You can create a Database Connection (.sde) file from the Catalog tree in ArcGIS for Desktop, using the Create Database Connection geoprocessing tool, or a Python script.
- Provide your connection information at the time of registration.
No matter which way you choose, you must provide the following information to connect to Teradata:
- The type of database platform to which you are connecting (in this case, Teradata)
- The ODBC data source name for the Teradata database
- Authentication Type set to database authentication (operating system authentication is not supported)
- A valid database user name and password, which must be saved with the connection
See Database connections in ArcGIS for Desktop for more information and an example.
Register with ArcGIS Server
You can register the database from Server Manager or the Catalog tree in ArcGIS for Desktop. See the following topics for an explanation of registration options and how to register the database: