ArcGIS Web Adaptor is provided as a setup program and is run through a utility named Setup.exe. You can install ArcGIS Web Adaptor on its own using the steps provided here, or you can install silently using Windows Installer command line parameters.
- The version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor must match the version of your server site or portal.
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor can be installed side by side with other versions. You are not required to uninstall ArcGIS Web Adaptor unless you are upgrading to a newer version.
- Each ArcGIS Web Adaptor must have its own unique name; you cannot have two Web Adaptors with the same name on a single web server. If a naming conflict is detected during the installation, a warning message appears. You must uninstall the earlier version with the same name to resolve the conflict. Alternatively, you can change the name of one of the Web Adaptors to proceed with the installation.
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor and Tomcat do not need to be installed on the same machine if you will configure the Web Adaptor with a server site or portal through your browser. However, if you will configure the Web Adaptor using the configurewebadaptor.exe tool, the Web Adaptor and Tomcat must be installed on the same machine.
Note:Ensure that you start Tomcat, or any application server where an ArcGIS Web Adaptor instance is to be deployed, with administrative permissions. If it is not, the operation to register the ArcGIS Web Adaptor with ArcGIS Server will fail.
Before installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
Before you install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, do the following:
- Verify that your system meets all system requirements. You can only configure one Web Adaptor with a server site or portal.
- Sign in as a user with administrative privileges.
- Verify that you have a website running on port 80 and HTTPS is enabled on port 443. This is to accommodate the variety of encrypted and unencrypted calls made to ArcGIS Enterprise. For instructions on how to create a website, consult the product documentation specific for your Java application server. For more information about setting up and using HTTPS, see Enable HTTPS on your web server.
The use of the default HTTPS port 443 is appropriate for the vast majority of users. In some rare cases, an ArcGIS Web Adaptor instance cannot use port 443 on its web server for organization-specific reasons. If this applies to your organization, see Use nondefault ports for the portal's ArcGIS Web Adaptor, which details additional steps to configure a workaround.
- Close all applications.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup. You can also insert the ArcGIS Server or the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically start the setup.
You are now ready to proceed with the ArcGIS Web Adaptor installation.
How to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor
To install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, complete the following steps:
- Review the master agreement and accept it if you agree. Click Next to continue with the installation.
- Click Change to specify the installation folder or Next to accept the default location.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click Finish to close the wizard.
- Browse to the ArcGIS Web Adaptor installation folder. Deploy the arcgis.war file to your Java application server on a website running on port 80. For instructions on how to deploy a .war file, refer to the documentation for your Java application server.
- Optionally, to deploy multiple Web Adaptors on the host machine, redeploy the arcgis.war file as necessary. Keep in mind that if you're deploying multiple Web Adaptors on the same website (port), they must have different names. For example, two Web Adaptors named arcgis cannot exist on the same website. If you want multiple Web Adaptors with the same name, you must install them on separate websites (ports).
- Connect ArcGIS Web Adaptor with a server site or portal.
After installation, ArcGIS Web Adaptor will display in the language specified by your Java application server. To change the language, consult the product documentation for your Java application server.