Prepare to install ArcGIS Enterprise
Before you run ArcGIS Enterprise Builder, perform the following steps:
- Verify you do not have Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Data Store or Web Adaptors named portal or server installed on the machine. The builder will install two Web Adaptors with default names of portal and server. If you choose to specify alternate Web Adaptor names, ensure those names are not already used for Web Adaptors installed on the machine.
- Verify that your machine has a supported operating system installed. For more information, see the system requirements.
ArcGIS Enterprise Builder cannot be installed on machines that have multiple network interface cards.
- Verify that your machine has .NET Framework 4.5 or later installed. The .NET Extension Support Feature is automatically installed with ArcGIS Server and can be used to develop and deploy .NET Server Object Extensions (SOEs) and Server Object Interceptors (SOIs).
- Check the amount of free disk space on your machine. The builder requires 10 GB of free disk space on the system drive (often the C: drive), where setup files are staged and log files are written. Additionally, the builder requires 20 GB of free disk space on the installation drive. This disk space is necessary for completing the initial installation of components and for the storage of data, logs, and configuration files as your deployment expands. Most users need more than 20 GB of space on their installation drive; a production system should have 50 GB or more of free disk space.
- Verify that your machine has at least 16 GB of RAM.
- Obtain the following files from My Esri:
- An authorization file for ArcGIS Server Standard or Advanced. This file can be in either .ECP or .PRVC format.
- A .JSON file that contains authorized user types and app bundles for your Enterprise portal.
- Ensure that port 80 is enabled for HTTP communication.
- Create a domain certificate and enable HTTPS on your web server with the assistance of your IT administrator. See the next section for details.
- Log in to the machine as a user with administrative privileges.
- Close all applications on your computer.
Create a domain certificate and enable HTTPS
Successful completion of the ArcGIS Enterprise configuration wizard requires HTTPS to be enabled in IIS on the machine where the base deployment is installed.
If HTTPS is not enabled, the configuration wizard will not complete and report the following error message:
The Web Adaptor URL https://mymachine.mydomain.com/server cannot be reached. Please check that HTTPS has been enabled for your web server. For instructions on enabling HTTPS, navigate to the Help Topic: Introducing ArcGIS Enterprise > ArcGIS Enterprise Builder > Plan a base deployment.
In most cases, your IT administrator will give you certificates and bind them to HTTPS port 443.
In 2017, Chrome began only trusting certificates with a Subject Alternative Name (SAN) parameter, which cannot be configured when creating a certificate in the IIS Manager application.
If you are using IIS and need to create a domain certificate, see Create a domain certificate, which provides a script to run on your machine that will create the appropriate certificate and bind it to HTTPS port 443.
You are now ready to proceed with installation steps for the base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.