Tasks to perform after you create a data store
In this topic
- Define a backup location
- Set the portal's federated and hosting server
- Additional optional configuration tasks
- Begin using the data store
There are additional configuration tasks you can perform after you install ArcGIS Data Store and create a data store.
- If you are using your data store in a production system, Esri recommends that you back up the data store to a shared network location rather than the default directory.
- If you want your data store to be highly available, configure a standby machine.
- If your organization requires that the administrator set the passwords for all databases your organization uses, change the data store passwords.
- If you have not done so already, federate your ArcGIS Server site with your portal and set it as the portal's hosting server.
- When you finish all data store configuration, portal members can publish hosted feature layers.
Define a backup location
ArcGIS Data Store automatically generates backup files. The default location for the backup files is on the same machine as the data store. Manually move these files to a different machine to secure them in the event of a data store failure or set up a shared network location, and configure the data store to write the backup files to that location.
Follow these steps to set up a shared network location for ArcGIS Data Store backups.
Create a domain account
The ArcGIS Data Store must have write access to the backup directory. If the directory is on a separate machine than the ArcGIS Data Store service, use a domain account to run the service, because a domain account can access directories on different machines in the network.
If a domain account does not already exist that you can use, request one from your domain administrator. The account just needs to be able to run the ArcGIS Data Store service, and read and write files to the network directory where backup files will reside. For more information on this account, see The ArcGIS Data Store account.
Grant directory privileges to domain account
You must grant specific privileges on ArcGIS Data Store directories to the account used to run the ArcGIS Data Store service.
ArcGIS Data Store shared network backup or staging directory
read and write
ArcGIS Data Store content directory (Default location is C:\arcgisdatastore.)
ArcGIS Data Store installation directory (Default location is C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore.)
The etc directory under the ArcGIS Data Store installation directory
The bin directory under the ArcGIS Data Store installation directory
The framework directory under the ArcGIS Data Store installation directory
The usr directory under the ArcGIS Data Store installation directory
Change ArcGIS Data Store service properties
Use Windows Services Management Console to change the account used to run the ArcGIS Data Store service.
- Open the Windows Services Management Console on the ArcGIS Data Store machine.
- Right-click the ArcGIS Data Store in the local services list and click Properties.
- Click the Log On tab.
- Choose This account and specify a domain account to run the ArcGIS Data Store service.
- Type and confirm the password for the domain account.
At many sites, domain account passwords are reset on a regular basis. Update the password for the ArcGIS Data Store service when the account's password changes.
- Click OK to close the dialog box.
- Right-click the ArcGIS Data Store in the local services list and click Restart to apply your changes.
Use the changebackuplocation utility to specify a new location for data store backup files.
The changebackuplocation utility is installed in the <ArcGIS Data Store installation directory>\datastore\tools directory.
- Create a directory on a shared network drive.
The ArcGIS Data Store account must have read and write access to this directory.
- Open a Command Prompt using the Run As Administrator option.
- Run the changebackuplocation utility and specify the new directory.
For example, type the following to create backup files in a shared directory named ds_backup on a computer named sysshare and opt to keep existing backup files:
changebackuplocation \\sysshare\ds_backups --is-shared-folder true --keep-old-backups true You are going to change the backup location of the data store. Existing backups will be copied to the new location and it could take a few moments. Please do not interrupt the process once it has started. Do you want to continue (Yes or No)? Yes
Set the portal's federated and hosting server
ArcGIS Data Store is used to store hosted feature layer data and caches for scene layers published to Portal for ArcGIS. If you have not already federated your ArcGIS Server site with your portal and configured it as your portal's hosting server, do so now.
Additional optional configuration tasks
Depending on your organization's requirements, there are two other configuration steps you can perform when setting up your data store.
Add a standby machine
If you want your data store to be highly available, you can add a standby machine. If the primary data store machine you just created becomes unavailable (the server crashes or network connectivity is lost), your hosted feature layers can access the data on the standby machine.
Take control of data store accounts
ArcGIS Data Store passwords are randomly generated when you install ArcGIS Data Store. If your site requires you to set your own passwords, change the passwords using the changepassword utility.
Begin using the data store
Once you have completely configured your data store, portal members can publish feature layers to the portal from ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, or the portal website. The data used by these hosted feature layers is kept in ArcGIS Data Store.
For information on hosted feature layers, how to publish them, and the privileges required to publish, see the following topics in the Portal for ArcGIS help: