ArcGIS Web Adaptor is provided as a setup program and is run through a utility named Setup.exe. You can install ArcGIS Web Adaptor on its own using the steps provided here, or you can install silently using Windows Installer command line parameters.
- The version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor must match the version of your server site or portal.
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor can be installed side by side with other versions. You are not required to uninstall ArcGIS Web Adaptor unless you are upgrading to a newer version.
- Each ArcGIS Web Adaptor must have its own unique name; you cannot have two Web Adaptors with the same name on a single web server. If a naming conflict is detected during the installation, a warning message appears. You must uninstall the earlier version with the same name to resolve the conflict. Alternatively, you can change the name of one of the Web Adaptors to proceed with the installation.
Before installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
Before you install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, do the following:
- Verify that your system meets all system requirements. You can only configure one Web Adaptor with a server site or portal.
- Automatically or manually enable IIS and the required components.
To successfully install and configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor, you must enable IIS and the required components before installing the prerequisites specified in the next step.
- Ensure that the following prerequisites are installed on the machine where ArcGIS Web Adaptor will be installed:
You must install the ASP.NET Core Runtime - Windows Hosting Bundle, which includes the .NET Runtime and IIS support.
If you installed the ASP.NET Core Runtime - Windows Hosting Bundle before enabling IIS and the required components, you must repair the bundle installation using the bundle installer.
- Sign in as a user with administrative privileges.
- Verify that you have a website running on port 80 and HTTPS is enabled on port 443. This is to accommodate the variety of encrypted and unencrypted calls made to ArcGIS Enterprise. For instructions on how to create a website, consult the IIS product documentation. For more information about setting up and using HTTPS, see Enable HTTPS on your web server.
The use of the default HTTPS port 443 is appropriate for the vast majority of users. In some rare cases, an ArcGIS Web Adaptor instance cannot use port 443 on its web server for organization-specific reasons. If this applies to your organization, see Use nondefault ports for the portal's ArcGIS Web Adaptor, which details additional steps to configure a workaround.
- Close all applications.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup. You can also insert the ArcGIS Server or the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically start the setup.
You are now ready to proceed with the ArcGIS Web Adaptor installation.
Attempting to configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor so the URL includes additional levels is not supported and may cause problems with client applications.
How to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor
To install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, complete the following steps:
- The ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup program should start automatically after the download is complete. If the setup does not start automatically, browse to the location of the downloaded setup files, and double-click Setup.exe.
- Review the terms and conditions of the master agreement. You must agree to the terms to proceed.
- Choose a website running on port 80 for ArcGIS Web Adaptor. Available websites are listed as <website name (port)>. If you don't see the Select website dialog box, this means you only have one website. If only one website is found on your machine, ArcGIS Web Adaptor is automatically placed on that website without displaying the Select website dialog box.
- Provide a name for the Web Adaptor. The default value is arcgis. This instance name cannot contain spaces.
A message appears if a virtual directory with the same name as the Web Adaptor already exists on the selected website. Click OK to close the message, and provide a different name for the Web Adaptor.
- To complete the installation, follow the directions on the screen.
Each Web Adaptor installation creates an application pool with the default naming convention of ArcGISWebAdaptorAppPool<web adaptor name>.
The Web Adaptor configuration page appears after the installation is complete. You are now ready to configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for use with a server site or portal. For more information, see the following topics: