ArcGIS Data Store is registered with a GIS Server site, which you set as the hosting server for an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment. You must upgrade all components of this system to the same version.
Prepare to upgrade ArcGIS Data Store
Carefully review the following information and complete any required actions before you upgrade ArcGIS Data Store:
- Obtain new authorization files from My Esri before upgrading to 10.7.1. If you're upgrading from 10.2.x through 10.6.x to 10.7.1, you need new Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server files. If you're upgrading from 10.7, you do not need new license files unless you want to change the apps you license through your portal. In that case, you need a 10.7.1 Portal for ArcGIS license file.
- Create a backup of your data store and store your backup files in a remote, secure location. How you create a backup depends on what ArcGIS Data Store version you're upgrading from and the type of data store you're upgrading.
- If you are upgrading from 10.5.1 or a later release, create a full backup of each data store using the backupdatastore utility. If anything goes wrong with the upgrade and you need to revert to your previous installation, you can reinstall the older version of ArcGIS Data Store software and use these backup files and the restoredatastore utility to restore your data.
- If you are upgrading a 10.5 or earlier release tile cache or relational data store, use the exportmanageddb utility to make backup copies of these data stores. If anything goes wrong with the upgrade and you need to revert to your previous installation, you can reinstall the older version of ArcGIS Data Store software and use the importmanagedb utility to import the export file.
- If you are upgrading a 10.4 or 10.4.1 spatiotemporal big data store, make a backup copy of the content directory on every machine in the spatiotemporal big data store. If anything goes wrong with the upgrade and you need to revert to your previous installation, you can reinstall the older version of ArcGIS Data Store software and replace the content directory on each machine with the backup copies of the directories.
- Download the latest ArcGIS Data Store, Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Web Adaptor software installation files from My Esri.
- Running the 10.7.1 setup will automatically upgrade your ArcGIS Data Store to 10.7.1. There is no need to obtain and install each previously released version in sequence. Do not uninstall your previous version of ArcGIS Data Store.
- For your ArcGIS Enterprise portal to function, it must be the same version as your hosting server. You also need to reinstall your Web Adaptor instances to the same version as ArcGIS Server.
- If you are upgrading from 10.4 and are archiving streamed observation data from a federated ArcGIS GeoEvent Server site to your spatiotemporal big data store, you must apply ArcGIS 10.4 GeoEvent Extension Patch 1 to your 10.4 ArcGIS GeoEvent Server. After applying the patch, follow instructions to repair data before proceeding with upgrading the components of your ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.
- If you are using a federated ArcGIS GeoEvent Server site, stop the ArcGIS GeoEvent Server service on all machines before you upgrade ArcGIS Server.
- Read the next section and upgrade the ArcGIS Enterprise components that must be upgraded before you upgrade ArcGIS Data Store.
Because ArcGIS Data Store is always used as part of an ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, you need to upgrade certain components of the deployment before you upgrade ArcGIS Data Store. Upgrade components in the following order:
- Upgrade Portal for ArcGIS.
- Upgrade ArcGIS Web Adaptor (for the portal).
- Upgrade the ArcGIS Server site serving as the portal's hosting server. You must upgrade the hosting server before you upgrade ArcGIS Data Store.
- Upgrade ArcGIS Web Adaptor (for ArcGIS Server).
- Upgrade ArcGIS Data Store.
- If your deployment includes them, upgrade any additional ArcGIS Server sites. This includes upgrading ArcGIS GeoEvent Server sites and upgrading ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server sites.
Highly available data stores
The order in which you upgrade each machine in a highly available data store does not matter beginning with ArcGIS Data Store 10.7.
When upgrading a highly available relational or tile cache data store, install the new version of ArcGIS Data Store on the primary and standby machines, and then you can configure both machines by running the Data Store Configuration wizard or the configuredatastore utility from either the primary or standby machine. This configures both machines.
If your spatiotemporal big data store contains more than one machine, install a new version of ArcGIS Data Store on all the machines. Next, sign in to one of the machines using an administrator login and configure all the machines in the spatiotemporal big data store by running the Data Store Configuration wizard or the configuredatastore utility. This configures all machines in the spatiotemporal big data store.
Do not run the GeoAnalytics Tools that create hosted feature layers and do not create a new archiving service for ArcGIS GeoEvent Server until you finish upgrading all machines in the spatiotemporal big data store. To ensure no one runs the GeoAnalytics Tools while the spatiotemporal big data store is being upgraded, you can sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager as the ArcGIS Server administrator and stop the GeoAnalyticsTools system service.
Steps to upgrade ArcGIS Data Store
Once you have your installation files and backup files and have upgraded the hosting server, complete the upgrade steps for each type of data store. All data stores registered to the same ArcGIS Server site must run the same ArcGIS Data Store release. Keep the following in mind when upgrading ArcGIS Data Store:
- Always install ArcGIS Data Store on all machines in a data store before reconfiguring the data store.
- Do not uninstall ArcGIS Data Store before installing the new version.
- If you have primary and standby machines in your relational or tile cache data store, install the new version of ArcGIS Data Store on the primary and standby machines, and then reconfigure the data store from either machine.
- If you have multiple spatiotemporal big data stores configured with your ArcGIS Server site, install the new version of ArcGIS Data Store on every spatiotemporal big data store machine.
After you complete the steps outlined in Prepare to upgrade ArcGIS Data Store and have upgraded the ArcGIS Enterprise components that must be upgraded before ArcGIS Data Store, follow these steps to upgrade your data stores:
- If you are using a spatiotemporal big data store with ArcGIS GeoEvent Server, sign in to ArcGIS GeoEvent Server Manager and stop the feature services used to archive data.
- Optionally, if you want to prevent users from editing hosted feature layers while you are upgrading, connect to the hosting server (GIS Server site) from ArcGIS Server Manager and stop all hosted feature services. Similarly, if you have a federated ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server site, connect to it from ArcGIS Server Manager and stop all hosted feature services.
- Update the ArcGIS Data Store installation on every data store machine.
To update the installation, run the latest ArcGIS Data Store 10.7.1 setup script from the command prompt as the same user who installed ArcGIS Data Store the first time. Do not uninstall the existing installation.
To run the command, change to the ROOT or untar directory and run /Setup.
To run the setup script from the ArcGIS Data Store 10.7.1 setup media, click the setup script, and click Run in Terminal.
You do not have to stop the ArcGIS Data Store service manually to upgrade; the setup script stops it for you.
- The setup detects your existing version of ArcGIS Data Store on the target machine and prompts you to continue or exit the upgrade. See the following example:
========================================================================= ArcGIS 10.7.1 Data Store (Linux) ========================================================================= Your ArcGIS 10.3 Data Store is installed at: /home/ags/arcgis/datastore Confirm Settings ========================================================================= Product to upgrade: ArcGIS 10.3 Data Store (Linux) Location to upgrade: /home/ags/arcgis/datastore/usr/arcgisdatastore Your ArcGIS 10.3 Data Store will be stopped when performing the upgrade and ArcGIS 10.7.1 Data Store will be started after the upgrade completes 'y' to continue with these settings 'q' to exit without upgrading this product Enter choice [y,q] (y):
- Type y and press Enter to accept the detected settings and continue with the update.
Wait while the ArcGIS Data Store installation on this machine is updated to 10.7.1. This may take several minutes.
- Once all ArcGIS Data Store installations are updated to the latest release, use the configuredatastore command utility to reconfigure each data store type with the hosting GIS Server site.
How many times you run the configuredatastore utility depends on your configuration.
- For relational and tile cache data stores, log in to either the primary or standby machine as the user who installed ArcGIS Data Store and run the configuredatastore utility. This upgrades the data store on both the primary and standby machine.
- If your relational and tile cache data stores are on the same machine, running the configuredatastore utility upgrades both.
- For spatiotemporal big data stores, log in to any of the spatiotemporal big data store machines as the user who installed ArcGIS Data Store and run the configuredatastore utility. This upgrades all machines in the spatiotemporal big data store.
In this example, the configuredatastore utility is run on a machine where both the relational and tile cache data stores are running. Both data stores are configured with the GIS Server site https://myserver.network.com:6443/arcgis:
./configuredatastore.sh https://myserver.network.com:6443/arcgis serveradmin MyAdminPassword /home/ags/arcgis/datastore/usr/arcgisdatastore --stores relational,tilecache
In this example, the configuredatastore utility is run on one of the machines in a spatiotemporal big data store that is configured with the GIS Server site https://gisserver.mynetwork.com:6443/arcgis:
./configuredatastore.sh https://gisserver.mynetwork.com:6443/arcgis serveradmin MyAdminPassword /home/ags/arcgis/datastore/usr/arcgisdatastore --stores spatiotemporal
Running the configuredatastore utility restarts ArcGIS Data Store on all machines in the data store.
Before upgrading, ArcGIS Data Store confirms that all machines in the data store have the same version of ArcGIS Data Store installed and all machines are accessible. If any machines are not updated or accessible, ArcGIS Data Store cannot proceed with the upgrade. Correct the installation or network problems and run the configuredatastore utility again.
- If you have a spatiotemporal big data store, confirm the spatiotemporal big data store shows a status of healthy.
To determine a data store's status, log in to the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory for the hosting server and run the validate REST command.
- If your portal has federated ArcGIS GeoEvent Server or ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server sites, upgrade these sites. Once you upgrade successfully, make sure the feature services are running and functional.
Considerations after upgrading ArcGIS Data Store
The upgrade procedure moves all existing 10.5 and older relational data store backup files and 10.5 and spatiotemporal big data store backup files to a new subdirectory in your backup directory location. The directory name contains the ArcGIS Data Store release number. ArcGIS Data Store moves these files so you do not accidentally try to use them to restore your upgraded relational data store, as that is not supported.
For this reason, you should create full backups of your relational and spatiotemporal big data stores after you upgrade ArcGIS Data Store. This provides you with a usable full backup of your hosted feature and spatiotemporal layer data in case anything happens before your next scheduled backup.
After upgrading, you should confirm that your data stores are accessible. You can do this from ArcGIS Server Manager or the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory. Also confirm that your hosted feature and scene layers still work.
Validate data stores
You can sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager to validate that your GIS Server site can still communicate with each of your data stores.
Follow these steps to validate a data store from ArcGIS Server Manager:
- Sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager.
- Go to Site > Data Stores.
- Check the box next to the data store you want to validate. (ArcGIS_Data_Store).
- Click Validate.
If the data store is running and the GIS Server site can communicate with it, a green check box appears in the Status column.
Confirm layers work
You should also be sure your services are still working after you upgrade.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Server Manager.
- Go to Services > Hosted.
- Check to see that all services are running.