ArcGIS Pro users can connect to an ArcGIS Server site on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and work with the services running on the site. Similarly, ArcGIS Pro users can connect to a portal on AWS and work with layers from the portal.
Instructions provided here do not include connecting to a geodatabase or other data sources on AWS, as this is not an advisable workflow, primarily for performance reasons. When working directly with data sources (as opposed to accessing data through a web service), your client and data should be co-located.
Connect to ArcGIS Server on AWS
- Start ArcGIS Pro on your local machine and open a project.
- Click the Insert tab and choose New ArcGIS Server from the Connections drop-down list in the Project group.
The Add ArcGIS Server User Connection dialog box appears.
- For the Server URL, type the URL of the ArcGIS Server site you want to connect to.
If the ArcGIS Server site was created through the AWS Management Console, and you configured an Elastic Load Balancer for the site, the URL will also be in the format http://<Elastic Load Balancer address>/arcgis.
If the ArcGIS Server site was created using one of the Esri CloudFormation templates, the URL will vary depending on the template used. Some templates create an Elastic Load Balancer for the site, and some use ArcGIS Web Adaptor. If ArcGIS Web Adaptor is used, the URL format will be http://<ArcGIS Server machine name>/arcgis, as the web adaptor runs on the same machine as ArcGIS Server when you use the Esri templates.
- Provide credentials for a user account that has at least user-level privileges to the ArcGIS Server site.
- If you are connecting to a stand-alone ArcGIS Server site, provide the user name and password of an ArcGIS Server user. If you don't want to provide a user name and password each time you connect, check Save Username/Password. Click OK.
- If the ArcGIS Server site is federated with a portal, click OK. If your portal uses Integrated Windows Authentication, you will be logged in using your Microsoft Windows login; otherwise, you will be prompted to provide a portal user name and credentials. Type your credentials and click Sign In.
The ArcGIS Server connection appears under the Servers node in the Catalog pane.
You can rename the connection by right-clicking it, clicking Rename, typing a new name, and pressing Enter.
Connect to an ArcGIS Enterprise portal on AWS
Connecting from ArcGIS Pro to a portal on AWS is the same as connecting to a portal on premises. See Manage portal connections from ArcGIS Pro in the ArcGIS Pro help for instructions.